• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Have we all been wrong all these years?

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
You? Wrong? Never ! Wish I could read german better...I only got about half of that text.

...If we're wrong, then at least we it's not the first time assumed something wrongly...but I seriously doubt that ammonites with large and heavy shells that are upright would most certinaly topple, no?

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Well, since I flunked algebra, there is no way I could proove this theory wrong or right. Physicists got involved in the T. rex scavenger/predator debate too. :wink:

I need more than math to show me it dont float. :cool2:

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Actually, I do read German fairly well - the author is using that picture to illustrate the old theories of ammonites. The article talks about them floating and he even uses the word "swimming".

Now, I'm not up on my ammonites since I have so much to do on the Ceph Care forums - what is the current theory?

Nancy

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
There's nothing wrong with retro-extrapolating from Nautilus, whilst assuming some varieties of ammonites where shuffling along the bottom. Octopus sp. do a lot of that also, if I might say so :biggrin2:

PS: Some of this is in English

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Great first paragraph. :roll:

'Ammoniten konnten ganz sicher nicht schwimmen. Das lässt sich mit den von Archimedes schon vor 2000 Jahren gefundenen Regeln der Hydrostatik sowie der Hebelge- setze ganz eindeutig nachweisen. Sie waren ausnahmslos Bodenbewohner und mussten sich somit kriechend fort- bewegen, auch wenn es mancher Thomas nicht so recht glauben mag - not my problem.'

'Ammonites were certainly unable to swim. This is proven, without a doubt, by the rules of hydrostatics (discovered by Archimedes more than 2000 years ago), as well as the principle of the lever (?). They were, without exception, benthic ('floor-residents') and therefore moved by crawling; if some people choose not to believe this, not my problem.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak