Have we all been wrong all these years?

You? Wrong? Never ! Wish I could read german better...I only got about half of that text.

...If we're wrong, then at least we it's not the first time assumed something wrongly...but I seriously doubt that ammonites with large and heavy shells that are upright would most certinaly topple, no?

Actually, I do read German fairly well - the author is using that picture to illustrate the old theories of ammonites. The article talks about them floating and he even uses the word "swimming".

Now, I'm not up on my ammonites since I have so much to do on the Ceph Care forums - what is the current theory?

Nancy

There's nothing wrong with retro-extrapolating from Nautilus, whilst assuming some varieties of ammonites where shuffling along the bottom. Octopus sp. do a lot of that also, if I might say so :biggrin2:

PS: Some of this is in English

Great first paragraph. :roll:

'Ammoniten konnten ganz sicher nicht schwimmen. Das lässt sich mit den von Archimedes schon vor 2000 Jahren gefundenen Regeln der Hydrostatik sowie der Hebelge- setze ganz eindeutig nachweisen. Sie waren ausnahmslos Bodenbewohner und mussten sich somit kriechend fort- bewegen, auch wenn es mancher Thomas nicht so recht glauben mag - not my problem.'

'Ammonites were certainly unable to swim. This is proven, without a doubt, by the rules of hydrostatics (discovered by Archimedes more than 2000 years ago), as well as the principle of the lever (?). They were, without exception, benthic ('floor-residents') and therefore moved by crawling; if some people choose not to believe this, not my problem.'

I must say everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but i strongly disagree with this German guy Eble. He is by the way a physicist and not a paleontologist, who also claims that archaeopteryx was a underwater swimmer. He states that all ammonoids (heteromorph or not) were benthonic (and by this he mains really benthonic on the bottom and not demersal like some fish). He came to this by making false assumptions on ammonoid growth and his own calculations of negative buoyancy of ammonoids, which were proven wrong by all other studies, which all gave values within the margin of error of neutral buoyancy. If would by the way be very hard to live on the seafloor with a negatively buoyant shell (must of been drag carrying that around). It think it is ok to assume that the hydrostatic apparatus was working, because they all (even the weirdest heteromorphs like Nipponites) posses (and did not lose) their siphuncle. So per definition they would be somewhere in the water column from swimmers to planktonic floaters or vertical migrants. Some of them could have feeded demersally on the bottom (some orthoconic forms without adapical ballast) or potentially gyroconic forms, while other must have unmistakenly fed in the water column with a stabile upward pointed aperture (assuming soft parts filled the entire body chambers => see some of the discussions from Neal Monks)...

I think they were whitegold wielders.

Yeah, a little bit of unrealistic explanation going on here...sort of like scientists who state that bumblebees can not fly.

Ummm....ow.

Cthulhu77: Thing with the bumblebees turned out to be false, there are no physical problems to prove that they can fly...just BTW

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back