Giant Squid Video Viewing Party - Live Thread!

It was awesome! I think the documentarians really did a spectacular job of showing just how incredibly invested the scientists were in seeing this animal, and how overwhelmed they all were when they saw it. I wish they had shown more of the final piece of footage without editing though.

I was watching it with a friend and we both shouted out every time we saw a familiar 'cephalopod-person' name or face. So, so awesome! I hope discovery will replay it multiple times, because I missed the first 30 minutes.

Fantastic! Awesome! So very cool and I echo Robyn, incredible to watch the researchers at work and what an honor it is to be able to see their emotional responses. Very cool.

LOL, MOST of the stills I took were trying to get facial expressions. I kept shouting out the animals I recognized :oops:. I wonder if the everyday watcher had the same intense feelings. I choked up big time when Mike DeGruy was on screen. I was impressed with Discovery that they included him throughout. I expect to watch it again on Sunday as my sister-in-law set up her DVR for me and I want to see it without trying to take pictures (I'll be sure to look at Steve's nails :sagrin:). I don't remember enjoying a TV program this much.

CG, I've been wondering about the missing tentacles too. I suspect they saw the same animal in all 6 appearances since it was the same size and no tentacles showed on any of the film.

I managed to see it just now....like being in a dream watching it. Lost for words at the end. Looks like it was one heck of a ride out there. Funny how both squid were missing those long arms, surely not the same animal. I wonder what this means for future dives.......you know the big ones can be drawn out......argh, so many thoughts but really, congratulations, not since the live colossal squid thawing \ dissection have I been so amazed.

Oh and any chance that the full 23 minutes will be shown, unedited sometime....

cuttlegirl;196222 said:
I have a few questions. Can Architeuthis retract its tentacles completely? Were both giant squid missing their tentacles? Lastly, what shade was Steve's nail polish?

8)

I agree, surprised they held back on showing full footage. I thought it was 16 mins, not 23? In any case, it seems everyone agrees that that was an excellent documentary...

The remaining footage should just be released. There's nothing more to squeeze out of it (unless there something spectacular happened that they wanted to save for something else... :sly:)

Glad to see Steve himself here in this thread, perhaps he can enlighten? :oshea::?:

Hey, I just wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how well this documentary was made. I've become jaded over the past several years with how exploitative documentaries seem to have been, but this one was outstanding! I don't recall any outrageous claims being made (such as "hard evidence" that squid can grow to 200+ feet in length, or that Dr. O'Shea invented the question mark), and it focused on the seriousness of the expedition.

Anyway, congratulations to Dr. O'Shea and the rest of the crew!

And just remember, it's things such as this that help funnel money into continued research. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this is only the tip of the iceberg of things to come!

GPO87,
HOW did you get to see it? OH, wait, I think you mentioned family in CA had the opportunity to view it so I am guessing you got a private showing.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back