• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Getting rid of nitrates

What is a good way to get rid of nitrates in a closed, circulating system? I have been doing daily 10 gal water changes on my system which has 2 40-50 gal tanks and a sump that consists of a large black bucket of unknown capacity. It has been sufficient for a while, but of late my octos have shown a decline in appetite. How might I reduce the nitrate level in the system?

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
Yeah, macro algea does do wonders! A skimmer actually does help to take out the really nasty stuff to keep the trates lower for longer.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
I have a ton of chaeto right now, and unlike the places listed above, I won't make you pay $30 just for shipping :smile:

Dan

I do live near the ocean. How would I identify such algae? And how much does it cost if I were to buy it? And are there any special things I need to have to keep the algae alive? How much should I get?

well i have a species of calerpa in mine and it looks like a bunch of bubbles on a single shaft. it grows pretty quick. i don't have anything special. just a powerhead to keep off detritus and such.