• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Frozen food training!! Any thoughts?

softmick

Cuttlefish
Registered
I have posted this in a thread in the journal section also but thought it makes a good thread on its own....

I am in the process of training my new octopus to accept frozen food by stuffing a freshly cracked mussell with frozen lancefish and shrimp. Here in the UK mussells are a very good live food as they are only around 80p per pound. Does anyone know how nutritional they are if fed as a sole source of food?

Up to now he hasnt noticed and eats the lot!:smile:

How do you / have you, trained your cephs to eat frozen food?

Hello :cuttle:

I can only tell you how we made frozen food (Crangon sp.) attractive to our cuttlefish babies:
Fresh (living) Crangons were mixed with some Crangons that were cooled down for a few minutes (not moving much) and with frozen Crangons. The young cuttlefish learned to link not-moving (frozen), slowly moving (cooled) and living food quickly and over the time fresh Crangons were more and more substituted by cooled-ones until frozen ones were finally accepted as the "main dish"...

Hope that's sort of helpfull...

Gruß,
K :sink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan