• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. To contribute to the discussion, register here, and perhaps Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

Freshwater octopus

Lov80

O. vulgaris
Registered
There is at least one species of octupus that lives in freshwater. The Zizania persalsa was dicovered in Brazil.
Is anyone here familar with freshwater octouses? Where are they sold?

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
There is at least one species of octupus that lives in freshwater. The Zizania persalsa was dicovered in Brazil.
Is anyone here familar with freshwater octouses? Where are they sold?
The only reference I could find on this species was in an article posted on April 1st (April fool's day?) -- can you provide more info? I don't think there are any validated freshwater species... there may have been an incident at a river mouth near the ocean, if I recall...