• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Flavor of Tako (+ pics!)

Roctopus

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hey yall. Longtime lurker here. This is the best site ever! Anyways, I got this pus a week ago. They couldn't tell me where it was from. I'm guessing its an O defilippi. Mantle is about 1 1/4". Longest arms are about 6" and they're real long and spindley. Seems really tame; handfeeding already, sits on the glass during the day, and always comes to check me out if I'm messing around in there. So far ate a crayfish and a couple krill. He lives by himself in an 18 gallon with a skimmer. Maybe you can help me figure this guy out. How big will he get?

Attachments

• conv_302528.jpg
    conv_302528.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 76
  • conv_302529.jpg
    conv_302529.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 70
  • conv_302530.jpg
    conv_302530.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 54

Roctopus

Cuttlefish
Registered
More :cyclops: pics!

Attachments

• conv_288936.jpg
    conv_288936.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 56
  • conv_288937.jpg
    conv_288937.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 67
  • conv_288938.jpg
    conv_288938.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 73

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Great pics, and glad he's feeding so well for you...but, you are going to need a much, much larger tank for that 8 armed genius ! Do you have access to a 45-55 gallon tank? It's the easiest size to work with...
Be sure to list what kind of filtration you are using too, the water looks good from the photos, but we always like to yap about what everyone is doing.

:welcome:

greg

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

That's a fine looking octopus you have! Good pics, too! I always like the "portrait" photos, where he's looking right at you!

It looks like "defilippi" from the photos you've posted, but then it's hard to be sure. Have you noticed whether the third pair of arms is the longest, which is characteristic of defilppi?

Looking at Cephalopods: A World Guide, I read that the bod of defilippi is at least 6mm (2 1/2 inches) as an adult, and arms are at least 30 cm (about 12 inches). This species can sever its arms near the base, useful as a decoy to preditors. It's a small-egged species and carries its eggs round with it rather than attaching them somewhere.

Does your octo have a name? I'd like to put it on the List of Our Octopuses at the top of Journals and Photos.

Nancy

Roctopus

Cuttlefish
Registered
Nancy, his name is Tako. That's Japanese for octopus sushi! No I won't eat him! OB, my tank has been set up for over two years. Mizu, he sounds alot bigger than he is. He spends alot of time in about one square inch of space. I'm aware that octopus produce 2 to 3 times the bioload of a similar sized fish, but this guy could triple his size and be allright. That said, I am in the market for a larger tank.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
:welcome: I love that long-arm look and he seems to have a great personality. They all are soooo different! Best of luck with him!

Carol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak