• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Sylvester

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered

Sylvester vs Superman 2: Making friends? :nyah:
The first 15 seconds feels likes something Hank from Finding Dory would totally do.
It's a bit long, and nothing exciting after that, just Vester eating. He does change colors (30 sec mark) and tries to dig (1 min mark)- I think someone approached the tank to watch. But that first 15 seconds just makes me smile.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
:heart: Too funny and precious. NatGeo is looking for octopus stories and I forwarded a link to this video to the journalist doing research. I am not sure what type of material he is looking for (hopefully not jar opening tricks) but this is too cute and Disney timely not to mention. I'll let you know if he gets back to me requesting permission to use the clip.

Your "clam" looks more like a scallop to me but I am not well versed in mollusks. It may have been slow to close when you first acquired it because it was kept on ice.

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Thanks!

Definitely a local clam. We cooked some. :oopsie: They are priced differently too (about 1/3 price of scallops). They weren't on ice when I bought them tho, the vendor had them in shallow water. But then again you have a point, they may have been in ice prior to getting displayed in the market.

Just sharing, our local (Philippine) scallops look like this. (Card for size reference)
localscallop.jpg

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
I don't know why it took me this long to realize that Sylvester seems to have a pretty BIG appetite. I caught him last night eating one of the big turbo snails (unfortunately, I didn't see him hunting, just saw the chewing bit). And I had just fed him a pretty big piece of shrimp yesterday morning.

And then I remember there are now 3 eaten clams, and another 3 snails, a possible missing pistol shrimp, and 2 semi eaten shrimps. Um yeah. Food slave needs to be whipped into shape. :oopsie:

But it's good that he's hunting, right?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Eating is always good but, overeating is often a prebrood sign or a sign of stress. Let's hope for the later as it will subside once he/she is convinced that food will be provided.

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
I hope it isn't too much stress :sad:

He dislikes water changes a lot. I've noticed he would hide for 2-3 days following a water change. He'd still hunts and would accept food, but just doesn't like to be seen.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catifshconnoisseur

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak