• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

First Octo Tank

Free Diver

Hatchling
Registered
Ok I'm looking into a used reef tank. It is a 60g has 75 pounds of LR and a 3 inch sand bed and comes with a wet/dry that has a UV sterilizer, Osonizer(?) and room for skimmers. I'm so excited! It also comes with a 175 watt metal halide and two fuval 303 filters. All for $150!

Bret

dbbga

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
:welcome: Hi Brett Sounds like a great deal.. Think the metal Halides are a bit much for the Bimac tho. Just plane flour. lights will do for a bimac

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
yep, sell off the halides, and get rid of that much sand...about an inch or so is fine (less chance of tank crash due to anaerobic decay)...what a deal though !!!
Can hardly wait to see some pics (hint)

greg

Free Diver

Hatchling
Registered
Im goin to Kauia in 2 days and will not have the tank untill I come back. I'll take some pics of octos when I got diving. Yeah aboot the halide I'm going to use it over my reef tank.

Thanks again
Bret

Good luck. Just out of curiosity, how long have you been interested in octopuses? And have you studied their biology as well in the past or currently? But besides that, 60 Gallons is fine and make sure you get a number of other items such as a hydrometer for salinity, thermometer for temperature, a water test kit, and mabye an air pump for excessive surface agitation incase there isn't enough oxygen. Octopuses need a lot of oxygen and full strength sea water. What kind of water will you be using? Make sure you use R/O unit or RO/DI water to make sure you get the most pure water treatment as well as aquarium salt. There's many things to think about. And make sure you do more research on your way just incase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak