dwarf octo questions

oscer

Banned
Banned
Ok the guy i got it from said his lid was open and it never got out bu i think my damsles ate it if so where can i buy another one for under 50$

Oh my god dude. Remove those Damsels before you ever buy another octopus.

Damsels, regardless of size, are VERY MEAN. They will pick on and kill fish twice their size. Not to mention a teeny tiny octopus.

oscer;100746 said:
Well should i flush them or what

Um, just catch them, bag them up, and take them back to your local fish store. Maybe they'll give you a couple of bucks, or some Hermits or something.

Honestly, to tell you the truth, I think you need to do a lot more research before you try another octopus. It will be MUCH more rewarding to both you and the octopus in the long run. I say this, because judging by your posts you just don't seem like you've done your homework. I'm not trying to come down on you or be insulting, but there is great care to be taken with these delicate animals.

I have a lot of O.Mercatoris that need homes. I will be moveing soon so i am giveing them away at cheap prices. I dont want any to die during the move. Only $25 per a octopus, $40 for 2, and $10 per an octopus if you buy more than 4.

Cricket

Hatchling
Registered
Hello, I am also very very new, is there a thread about Helpful tips/ things to avoid for when selecting a Octopus mercatoris for purchase?.. My planned purchase is a year out and I want to be prepared and smart about it.

I am sure you get asked this a lot- so redirection would be just fine, and really really appreciated.

Cricket

Hatchling
Registered
I am very afraid I will choose badly, and recieve a sick Merc or unwisely choose a seller. Any thoughts, or experiences would be greatly appreciated. THank you!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Unfortunately, sourcing any wild caught animal means the age and health are unknown. For longer lived animals, this is not as impactive as with cephalopods but the animals we can successfuly keep in a home aquarium have very short lives. Additionally, most suppliers know little about octopuses and can't be of much help even determining the species, let alone age, sex or health.