• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish compatibility

Zhonk

Hatchling
Registered
I know know there are two possible answers to the question I am about to aks: maybe or NO.
After some research I realy just love the idea of keeping bandensis cuttlefish in the 55 I have. The major problem is the current inhabitants, a purplish brown brittle star (I doubt this will be an issue) and a small saddle back clownfish. If I were to get some bandensis eggs, would the adults eat the clown?

:welcome: While the brittle star probably won't be a problem (unless it is carnivorous), I would not recommend the clownfish. You could keep the baby cuttlefish in net breeder until they get bigger. I kept my babies in a net breeder for the first month or two so that I could make sure they were eating. See if your LFS will trade you some hermit crabs for the clownfish.

Zhonk

Hatchling
Registered
Thanks you, that does sound like a smart idea. As a second question what modifications would I have to make to a coralife super skimmer and some pumps to make them cuttlesafe?

diz

Hatchling
Registered
Hi,

Don't know if its of any interest but i keep bandensis and fish together in a 100g Reef Tank. 3 x bandensis (2 adults and 1 sub adult) and 1 x fox face 1 x kohl tang and 2 x brown striped cardinals. No problems to date!

Zhonk;102970 said:
Thanks you, that does sound like a smart idea. As a second question what modifications would I have to make to a coralife super skimmer and some pumps to make them cuttlesafe?

You might zip-tie or rubberband a sponge over the pumps intake.