• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Cuttle colors research paper

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Hey guys, I'm writing a research paper on cuttlefish and color change and I'm wondering what the best websites and books are to look in! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hmmm, a research paper...

Hello :biggrin2:

I suppose you have checked the "Cephalopod behaviour" by Hanlon and Messenger already. If not, maybe that's a good book to start your search...

The following papers may also be of interest:

"Cuttlefish camouflage: visual perception of size, contrast and number of white squares on artificial checkerboard substrata initiates disruptive coloration" by Chuan-Chin Chiao and Roger T. Hanlon, The Journal of Experimental Biology 204, 2119-2125 (2001)... This is cool and has some nice pictures.

Then I also know of a paper called "Cuttlefish Body Patterns as a Behavioral Assay to Determine Polarization Perception" by MM Grable, N Shashar et al, J. Exp. Biol (this paper is available as PDF... use Google)

Another: "Identifying the structure in cuttlefish visual signals" by Crook, Baddeley et al., Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond, 2002 .

So you see, no book but plenty of papers dealing with camouflage in cuttlefishes. I hope that was sort of helpful...

Best regards and good look with your research paper,
K

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan