• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Common Octpopus (Octopus vulgaris) Size

d.j.adams

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi,

My first octopus died after 9 days in my tank and after refusing to feed, it was a Californian and would apear that owing to its size it nd total lack of interest in all food it may have died purely due to old age.

I am about to order another octopus and was thinking ording a jevenil or small Common Octopus vulgaris, I was wondering on growth rate and full size as I would start off in my 30 gallon tank which is heavy skimmed and filtered and if necessary move up to a 60 or 90 gallon tank that I have in the garage.

Its just the californian is hard to obtain here in the uk, well in good condition and in excess of £50 to buy and after the last one dying I thought a common octopus may be worth a go.

Any ones thoughts as usual would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Darren

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
You're going to need a lot more than 90 gallons. I think 200 might be a good medium size, but it's a pretty large octo when it's full grown. Six to eight feet from tip to tip is going to take up a lot of space, plus the strength will take a lot to contain. Bimacs may be expensive for you up front, but the vulgaris is going to exceed that in food cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak