• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Best Temperature For "Common Octopus"

I'm getting a new octopus tomorrow and can't decide what temperature to have the tank set at. Without a heater the tank is sitting right at 60F/15C. Local fish store is getting this animal by accident and doesn't really know where it's from. They are shipping it from Florida to Ohio but they could have imported it to Florida. So my basic question, what's the warmest a Vulgaris could tolerate and what's the coldest an Aculeatus would be happy with? Any thoughts on temperature would help, I'm sure this has been discussed but couldn't find much of a straight answer.

@Tomh has general guidance of 70F maximum (which typically means you need a chiller to support), but I believe that is meant for bimacs and similar species, which is what he's currently supplying. I understand vulgaris can do well in the 70's, but a problem here is that vulgaris (i.e., the common octopus!) is found all over the world... so this may be tricky. Hoping our resident experts will weigh in.

@Tomh has general guidance of 70F maximum (which typically means you need a chiller to support), but I believe that is meant for bimacs and similar species, which is what he's currently supplying. I understand vulgaris can do well in the 70's, but a problem here is that vulgaris (i.e., the common octopus!) is found all over the world... so this may be tricky. Hoping our resident experts will weigh in.
Thanks. I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell right away the species but I don't want it staying in the bag while I try to figure it out. I just really don't trust their definition of "common" octopus.

First image. It survived shipping just fine.

260024864_1340067736471661_6270508581412782033_n.jpg

Doesn’t look like a Bimac? 70 degrees could be too cold! Most of the octopus we get in the states are from Indonesia, Caribbean and a few from Atlantic. The odds are Indonesian or Carribean . So water temps would warmer. I would raise it slowly and see how he does ? Maybe 1-2 degrees a day till 75-78. Thanks

Doesn’t look like a Bimac? 70 degrees could be too cold! Most of the octopus we get in the states are from Indonesia, Caribbean and a few from Atlantic. The odds are Indonesian or Carribean . So water temps would warmer. I would raise it slowly and see how he does ? Maybe 1-2 degrees a day till 75-78. Thanks
Thanks. What species do you think it could be? Can't really get better pics until he comes out.

Attachments

• Octopus-.png
    Octopus-.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 21

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back