• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

bump on my cuttlefish?

outhus

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
there is a round bump about 3cm tall at the very end on the top surface of the body. i noticed it yesterday and today it is much bigger. is this normal?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
sounds liek abump from jetting backwards... can u see the cuttlebone?

outhus

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
i cant see the bone. its wierd it is always darker than his apperant color. my tank is only 60gal :-( i am getting a 180 for him but it may be a couple of months. it looks like a blister that could pop? i will try to load the pic

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I received the one you sent to me via email...and I hate to say, but it does look like the cuttlebone...I hope I am wrong!
:cry: greg

It is most likely a gas bubble or tissue build-up that forms form them constantly running into the tank. It is not life threatening but can lead to bigger problems. If it keeps running into the side of the tank it will most likely crack its cuttlebone and possible die.

Does it affect his locomotion skills at all? It sounds weird.... Getting bigger u say? Hope the poor little guys pulls through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak