best bio media?

i really wouldn't refer to a refugium as a quarantine tank as a quarantine tank is separate system from your maintank system. It is used to prevent the introduction pathogens and detrimental organisms from new livestock. While a refugium is plumbed to your maintank system and is a safe haven/breeding area for beneficial organisms such as macroalgae, copepods and amphipods.

erin

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
ok. so it looks to me like a sump. if i just put an area in my sump for some live rock and grass and mud and whatnot, would it have the same function? and if it did, would i want to put it before or after the skimmer? or make the skimmer a hang on? and should i use an overflow or a bulkhead to lead to the sump. or, again, both? sorry if im startin to be a pain in the ass with all my questions guys.

-Keith

Keith;120459 said:
with the question about the overflow or a bulkhead (or both) leading to the sump, i was talkin about this sump http://www.elmersaquarium.com/h153_megaflow_sump.htm its got 2 inputs, so i figure both is better? yes? no?

Elmer's is a great fish store, it's where I got my first salt water aquarium (decades ago...). You should contact them and see if they can answer some of your questions.

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
anyone here use a dual bak pak skimmer? im tryin to find out if they're any good. if they are would the pre-skimmer and bubble trap be good additions to get? id like to get a KZ Revolution, but they're EXPENSIVE.

i have a single sided bak pak on the side of a nonceph tank and use the preskimmer. I like it and haven't had to adjust it in years. I have the bubble catcher, but don't use it as it doesn't put out bubbles.

Redoc

GPO
Registered
It sound like your putting together a good system don't make it too complex remember you have to clean it. Don't skimp on the skimmer or you might regret it and also say some pretty bad words especially if you had bought a seaclone:banghead: I have one and have managed to get it to work adequately but it fought me every step of the way. You can section off part of your sump as a refugeum. Overflow or bulkhead? I would use an overflow especially if your still planing on using a canister filter as well. Oh yeah I've heard bakpaks work fine but I think a big part of the price has to do with there construction ( labor intensive )

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
cool. well if i dont need any other holes drilled besides one behind the overflow, im not gonna mess with it. yea i think my plan is gonna be to run an eheim professional II straight into the tank, a hang on dual bak pak (which happens to have a biological filter with bio-bale in it too), and an all glass aquarium megaflow model 4 sump (that way i can put a refugium in there). so it'll be really well filtered, have a good skimmer, and have a refugium to grow some good bacteria and add some water to the system. then of course a bunch of live rock and sand and all that. sound like a good plan?

-Keith

Latest Posts