• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Arthur - Aculeatus, my first octopus

Reggie

Blue Ring
Registered
Can anyone recommend any books on cephalopods? Also is there any automatic feeder that fits shrimp? I know there are tons of different feeders, but haven't found anyone yet that can fit frozen shrimp, pretty much the same size as the ones I have in the aquarium.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
To our knowledge, there is only one book on keeping cephalopods for hobbyists, written by two (one current, one previous) staff: Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefish for the Home Aquarium by Colin Dunlap and Nancy King.

There is a list of additional reading sources in the Culture forum stickied as Cephalopod Book Lists as well as linked references to papers by TONMO members in the Octopus' Den under Member Publications.

Automatic feeders will not work well with frozen as it deteriorates too quickly. even a small amount of residue will smell, it will create ammonia and the octopus will most likely not have anything to do with it. Experience recomends the need to feed live or freshly thawed by hand (most use a feeding stick but still hand feeding vs placing dead in the aquarium). For short times away (two or three days), live crabs can be placed in the tank (they may be eaten in one day but will be enough to feed the animal as they are often fed every other or every third day) but we highly recommend having someone come to the home to feed.

Reggie

Blue Ring
Registered
Say I'm gone for 2 weeks, wouldn't it be alright to place lots of crabs in there? 1 per day or so?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Two weeks (even a week is unlikely to be successful) is too long to leave it unattended with a supply of food. Live food would be consumed too quickly and that much waste in the aquarium will produce toxins that will poison the water.

I'm not sure. These guys seem to be always hungry, so leaving them without food for one day might fine but I think with absolutely no food for a few days... Well, let's just say I don't think people would want to take that risk. I don't think they have auto feeders for shrimp. I did think of doing that when on holiday, but I searched and didnt find anything

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I feed daily but there are keepers who feed every three days. Lowering the temperature to about 72 might help a little but you will need to feed multiple (depending on the size of the octopus) live crabs and have someone to come in and remove the shells, top off the tank with fresh water and add new by the third day.

QueenB

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Houdini eats every 3, days even if I offer it sooner. I'm experimenting with smaller portions more often now since she has gotten larger but each Octo is different.
You should have someone feed him while you are gone and they can use bamboo skewers with thawed pieces of raw shrimp, silversides, salmon, ect... I prep mine all up first, then put them in small Rubbermaid containers to freeze. I grab a piece out, thaw it, and give it to her.
The food should be chopped small enough for the Octo to consume. Too big and it spoils and turns the water foul pretty fast.
I would have a trusted friend or family member come over a few times and learn with you how the feeding process goes and how to inspect the tank and surroundings in case of an escape.
I wouldn't leave them unattended or unfed any longer then 2-3 days maximum.
Even if you have crabs in the tank they wouldn't last too long, and need to be removed after consumption.

Reggie

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey again. Was just thinking I would post an update. So I'm getting my octopus the next few days. Things are looking great and its most likely a wunderpus instead of the previously thought abdopus aculeatus. I've heard the wunderpus is threatened, but sadly it was the only one availible. Also I was wondering if the light hanging like in the picture attached would be alright or if it could be of any harm to the octopus?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
Last edited:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The octopuses that we keep in aquariums need a dark place to den but there is no known issue with lighting for 8 to 12 hours. The fish, however, is another concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak