• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

Whitey

Cuttlefish
Registered
??? Cambodia?

I didn't hear or read anything about this, O.Vulgaris, but, as you pointed it out, I'm in Africa... and Cambodia is in Asia! :wink:
Cheers.

I alway's get confused lol, blame a guy for geography, what I was trying to say is that a local found a archi and brought it to Colenso or Estcourt, I'm not sure, but he found one and brought it back with him if im correct, it's in a reserve or zoo of some sort, start's with a W... :smile:
I should go and study my geography lol.

Whitey

Cuttlefish
Registered
:? Sorry not to have been able to come for such a long time, but my life has been a little bit hectic (not only a little bit!) for a couple of weeks, and it's not over...
So this post just to say that this sperm whale body was so rotten that, apart the head, it was more or less like an empty bag. And bye-bye my crazy dreams about giant squid's remains in the stomach...
My beak is in the best possible condition (considering I didn't realise how really badly damaged it was when I got it), thanks to Dr O'Shea kind advice.
I had my slides of the buccal mass processed. As soon as I can find 10 mn to scan them (which also looks like a dream for the time being, but sometimes dreams come true, don't they?), I will post a couple of them here.
I hope no other Architeuthis will strand in the area during the next weeks :wink: I wouldn't find the time to go and look at it, even if it happened on the beach right under my house!!!

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Whitey said:
I hope no other Architeuthis will strand in the area during the next weeks :wink: I wouldn't find the time to go and look at it, even if it happened on the beach right under my house!!!
Howdo Whitey. The likelihood of an Architeuthis stranding in the immediate future is now pretty remote, but get yourself ready for another lot from late December through to late February/early March.

Having said this, you'll probably be swamped by a dozen washing ashore tomorrow.
Cheers, O

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
.... and another one was delivered to us yesterday.

My head is low in shame for uttering the aforementioned (previous post) words.

We'll be out of town for a couple of days; we're on the road again to pick up new, weird and wonderful squids from the national museum (incoming material), and to pitch a few new research ideas at a talk.

More to come
O

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Mega-Squid! (click here)

Running that term through image-search turned up a series of terrific photos of a very large squid dying on the coast of Japan. The animal lolls in a deep tidal pool, and a line has been fastened to it. The squid appears to have been alive when photographed, as the arms show quite a lot of movement between the individual frames, with one appendage appearing to slap atop one of the rocks ringing the pool. The URL provides the only English-language information on the pages, suggesting that the stranding took place in the Kyoto area, in February of 2002. Any TONMO'ers with Japanese reading ability, please take a crack at translating the text accompanying the photos.

Some squid.

:heee:

Clem

Attachments

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
LIVING ARCHITEUTHIS PHOTO

It is Architeuthis Clem; I'm surprised the images are online .... there are more, and they're sensational, but they're not images that a doco company could use, as some of them are pretty barbaric (the ropes). The specimen is now preserved in Japan.

I first saw these last year, in addition to another quite stunning pic ... and I'll say no more. I'm glad that the images are finally online, as it is THE FIRST LIVE ARCHITEUTHIS EVER PHOTOGRAPHED!!!

The images were used to try and secure funds to get a submersible working trenches off Japan, but the bid to secure funds was not successful. It is a shame really.

There's more that can be added to this story.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Scroll down on that page, and click on the blue hypertext characters to access SEVERAL MORE photos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak