• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

Whitey

Cuttlefish
Registered
Pics

:? ??? Burstovenergy, pics were made by the guys who found the squid, immediatly after they found it (more accurately after they removed it from the beach), THEN they used the flesh for baiting.
As a matter of fact, I was quite misquoted in the newspaper - and yes, I'm definitely "convinced" (!) what is sitting in my fridge is from a real giant squid... and it's not a head, but a buccal mass! -, but I guess I understood they were mainly wondering ( see : "... what is believed to be a giant squid... ") if more or less 4m long is giant enough to be a GIANT squid?
Well, let's wait and hope for the next one now... Got the right to dream, isn't it? :notworth:

Whitey

Cuttlefish
Registered
Autograph

Phil, what about my signature engraved in the beak itself and filled with 24K gold? Please feel free to set a (giant!) reserve price... :lol:

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Re: Pics

Whitey said:
Well, let's wait and hope for the next one now... Got the right to dream, isn't it? :notworth:
Another one hooked! Welcome to the roller-coaster ride of your life.
Congrats
O

Whitey

Cuttlefish
Registered
Another one hooked! Welcome to the roller-coaster ride of your life.

Hi Steve. Another what hooked? Another Architeuthis? When, where? On the beach right under my house? In my garden (there was a huge storm these last days, so why not?)?:wink:
Or are you talking about me? To be honest, I guess I'be been hooked since the beginning of the sixties, right after discovering Bernard Heuvelmans' In the wake of sea monsters... but of course this stranding so close to my place didn't really improve my addiction (not to talk about this stinking beak definitely busy devaluating my fridge's value by 300%)!
All the best. :smile:

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Yup, you're hooked.

I wonder what my deep-freezer is worth now, having been stunkyfied by giant squid gonad for a few years. There are bags of this, that and the other in there that even I've forgotten about. .... and I know the car has seriously devalued with all the crap I've thrown in it.

Baking soda is the key. After handling giant squid just make sure you use plenty of it in the washing/soak your gear in it. Not only is it great stuff for neutralising acidity (when formalin-fixing ammoniacal squid), it's great stuff for getting the stink out of your clothes.

Re: Pics

Whitey said:
:? ??? Burstovenergy, pics were made by the guys who found the squid, immediatly after they found it (more accurately after they removed it from the beach), THEN they used the flesh for baiting.
As a matter of fact, I was quite misquoted in the newspaper - and yes, I'm definitely "convinced" (!) what is sitting in my fridge is from a real giant squid... and it's not a head, but a buccal mass! -, but I guess I understood they were mainly wondering ( see : "... what is believed to be a giant squid... ") if more or less 4m long is giant enough to be a GIANT squid?
Thanks for clearing that up Whitey!

Whitey

Cuttlefish
Registered
New "evidence"?

:?: OK, not only I'm hooked, but I'm probably getting insane... Well, never mind, here are my new "Sherlock Holmes-typed" deductions : and if "my" area was (or was becoming) an Architeuthis one?
:jester: I'll try to explain how I came to this brilliant (?!) possible conclusion. This is due to the recent stranding (a few days ago) of a Sperm Whale on Hawston beach (see attached document).
This is not an absolute scoop, as some Sperm Whales are known to travel along the Southern South African coasts, but the fact is that they are very seldom watched.
Hawston is more or less 20 km from Pearly Beach, where this stranded/trawled Architeuthis was found some five weeks ago. Hawston is just West outside of Walker Bay, Pearly Beach just East outside. And Walker Bay is quite famous for its numerous Southern Right Whales and its much rarer Humpback, but, as far as I know, Sperm Whales are not considered as a regular part of the marine wildlife of the area. And it explains why this stranding deserved an article and a photograph in the local weekly newspaper...
So, knowing the food chain "relationship" between Sperm Whales and (giant) squids, I'm just wondering if this is just a coincidence?
Once again, the article is written in Afrikaans, and I will have to ask my sales lady to translate it for me tomorrow morning, but I guess I nevertheless understood the whale is still lying on the beach.
So I will of course try to learn more, and, why not, to get some "evidences", such as suckers scars on the skin... (could anyone 'hear' this poor crazy Whitey thinking "or some nice tentacle parts or even beaks amongst the stomach contents"? Poor little me, definitely and alarmingly hooked!).
To be followed (hopefully!).
PS : Dr O'Shea, please, please check your e-mails asap. I'm sorry, but I badly need your help for my beak... :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak