Acquired all kinds of new components - Need setup advice!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The lights are still cool and should be fun to experiment with but I am no longer insanely jealous.:heee:

...and no, octopuses would be happy with ambient light so MH are not desireable but they are for the new tank we want to build ...

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
There is a new system out by a company called Solaris that replaces all aquarium lighting needs with a sophisticated LED system - 1/2 the heat and MH intensity (if you want it and when you want it):

http://www.solarisled.com/

Ive always thought solaris system would be nice for a ceph tank, but those prices are crazy! Theres tests that compare them to MHs and they dont really measure up. I wouldnt trust it for a reef system, but it would be good for cephs, since you can adjust intensity and spectrum. I just love the lunar cycles and effects like cloud cover etc available.

There are however cheaper alternatives. Although this has been available in non-aquarium worlds for a while now, but dimmable T5 ballasts and controllers are entering the scene. So far its only available for 54 watt bulbs. Im using 39 watters, so im not reaching into my pocket books...yet. Oh and did i mention that its much cheaper??!?

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/ca...4_355&osCsid=634bde183630947529d5cc6d86ddaf43

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Paradox,
Sour Grapes! No comparison! I can't afford the Solaris either but it is definitely my dream lighting concept the newer version is supposed to be brighter but I could live with the older one for what I want). Fully programmable with the most wonderful settings and no separate timer. If I ever take the plung into trying to raise critters on a serious level, I fully believe something like this would stimulate the breeding cycle, especially if set up with the moon and changes in the current to match. Just dreaming (too broke to retire from a real job) but what a system this would help create.:coffee:

Latest Posts