• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

A California hello =)

I'm a college student in southern California, though I live on the east coast. I've been frequenting this site for awhile now, and it never fails to entertain me: I love the octopus photos/videos, and the community is great. I look forward to participating :smile:

So, any southern california natives know a good place to snorkel?

-Brandon

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

Glad you enjoy the site and all the photos and videos.

Sorry, I'm in Texas and can't help you with your snorkeling question!

Nancy

SDRotary

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I believe La Jolla cove should be a good start for you, I know I have seen many oocto's there when I go tidepoolin, that is if you mean San Diego by saying So Cal.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
just look out for the Carcharias ! :biggrin2:
welcome to Tonmo!
greg

SDRotary said:
I believe La Jolla cove should be a good start for you, I know I have seen many oocto's there when I go tidepoolin, that is if you mean San Diego by saying So Cal.

Wow, I've actually been to La Jolla Cove; I didn't snorkel, however-- I went kayaking. I brought a girl in a duel kayak out along the cliff, and we came across a basking sea lion. He didn't seem to mind us at all; we brought the kayak almost to arm's reach. Quite an experience, looking into his black eyes. Also saw many bright, orange fish swimming around underwater. In fact, I recall speculating as to whether or not there might be octopuses down there :heee: . I shall definitely bring some snorkel gear next time I'm down there, coming from near LA.

SDRotary

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
The orange fish you saw were gerabaldi, our Ca state fish. They are very colorfull indeed. If you get a chance one weekend take a boat trip out to catalina island and have yourself some real fun snorkling. I dont know why it didn't cross my mind the first time I posted, but I digress. It is awesome either way.

Ainbhlinn

Hatchling
Registered
I've been to Catalina a few times. It's bone chillingly cold, but the life there is so rich. You always see a garibaldi. And there're those huge crabs. Those were awesome.

I've never seen an octo though. They must have great camouflage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak