• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Wink - Octopus Digueti

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenB

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
She hasn't eaten anything for a couple of days. I tried shrimp, fiddlers, and scallop again. But she refuses everything. I can only see her eye, and 2 arms, and she has seems to have changed color. She is more of a dark grey now instead of brown with the blue hue to her. I know she is an adult, but am hoping to have a little longer with her. I checked for eggs and still nothing.

QueenB

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
She took shrimp today! Woohoo! I got her partway out of her den this time for it and she's a dark Greyish brown. She gets dark when she sees me coming kind of like a warning, but happily took the tiny piece of shrimp and tickles the fingers. I know she is probably starting senescence (dying off), but she's still my sweetheart.

No brooding since I haven't seen any eggs.

She also has a new tank mate that doesn't bother her. I bought a 1/2" - 1" Striped damsel to see if I could get some activity out of her with a live tank mate. Her arms go crazy when it goes near her den and the reaction of the damsel when it discovered wink was priceless. The Damsel started towards the den finding all the holes and crevasses in that rock formation, and an arm came out and flicked her away. That fish swam so fast like "Holy Crap what was that!"

Thankfully No bites, but she has only been playing touch or tickle and go. I hand feed the fiddlers live, but give her the tiny shrimp on a skewer.

Trying to get photos of her coloring, but its so hard.

Last edited:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I feel strongly about "No Fish" with an octopus and damsels are the highest on the NO list. Damsels tend to be territorial and aggressive and will likely start picking on the octopus.

QueenB

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Sometimes I think there is too much room for her.

Tank mate clean up buddy for excess shrimp pieces and to keep her company. I can't find a yellow tail damsel.

You can barely see her, but her color is changing to a greyish brown. I can see it and notice it because I see her daily and am noticing small changes. Eating habits, color changing, ect.

QueenB

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I did a water change again, moved some rock pieces around, and stirred up the substrate. She is now sitting in the front of her den in a dark brown/grey color. (That don't come near me type of look that could kill almost devilish if she had a mustache and horns) But she's happily taking pieces of shrimp from me from the skewer and fiddlers from hand.

I'm never satisfied with my filtration so I tend to really stir the substrate up since there's not a lot of snails, crabs, ect.. to feed on the excess shrimp/crab debris that she doesn't eat. Some of the pieces she blows out are so tiny I can't even get them with the net. She's leaving the fiddlers almost completely intact. She grabs them, stuns them, and then liquefies them from the back end of their shells. (Butt area) and then blows out the whole fiddler when she's finished. I haven't had to chase down fiddler legs or claws for a while AND I'M NOT COMPLAINING!

I've been leaving the red top on during feeding. I lift it to reach in and give her food and then just sit and watch her munch on it and wait with the net. I wait about 20-30 min in between the tiny pieces of shrimp to make sure she has eaten the whole piece. If I rush her she spits out the one she was munching on to grab the new piece.

I took the damsel back the other day and the looks I got from the store people was hilarious. They thought she would have eaten it until I showed them the pictures of her and they realized she's a dwarf. I traded the damsel in for a shell for her to play with. I couldn't find my receipt but still had the yellow paper with the skew # on it. They pretty much know who I am when I go in to stock up on things with the Zoo I have at home. They adore my Toy Yorkie and Chocolate Min Pins.

We recently rescued another Full size Yorkie that was kept outside in a cage her whole life as a Puppy Mill Breeder. (5-10 yrs old) She's so sweet, but has 2 serious Luxating Patella's. But we baby her and spoil her.

Fiddler time! I LOVE HER EYES!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I think it is the octopus eyes that enamor a lot of us. I keep trying to capture the feeling in a photograph but only come close in video.

Continuing to eat is always a GOOD sign.

Often keepers remark on how an octopus likes to "play" or "interact" during a cleaning session (one keeper got in the habit of moving his octopus to a critter keeper to clean because it interfered so much). My own opinion is that, at least initially, they don't like the disruption and are trying to get you to leave. I don't think they appreciate it that the "room smells better" after a water exchange.

FYI, many of us keep other animals so we started a thread in the Ceph Heads forum to be able to freely post our whole zoo stories and pictures :wink:. We have a lot of dogs, cats and then some interesting fish, herps and birds.

Edit: Looking up the link to that thread made me go through it as I have not browsed it in awhile. Lots of smiles, some sad for animals and members no longer with us. I was impressed with the variety of critters that going through the thread displays.

Last edited:

QueenB

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
OOO that's a great thread! I'm gonna have to go photo shopping through my HD and find my best ones to share. I just hope that blog has enough room for me to post all our babies. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guillermo Oro Marcos

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan