• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Whos more inteligent

reefer911

Cuttlefish
Registered
A question has come about in my time of research and that is wat is smarter a octopus or a cuttle from wat ive read it seems octos are smarter wat are your guyses thoughts on this??

Drew

tjohnson

Wonderpus
Registered
I have never kept cuttles but I have come to believe that Octos are more intelligent, although cuttles are more sociable.

ya i think so too, i've seen pictures where cuttlefish court a octopus that looked like acuttlfish, yet the octopus just swam away obviously noticing they aren't of a similar species.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hard to touch this subject...octopii are very ingenious, quite capable of problem solving, etc...while cuttles are certainly the masters of deception and fast moves...mixed bag, all in all...
sort of like people, if you get my drift... :biggrin2:

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
"The descriptions above make octos sound like neurotic professorial sorts"
absolutely!!!!

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
Well, there both smarter in there own ways. In this case, neither is "smarter", because it is relative. Octopi are highly developed thinkers whos eyes and cerebral ganglia are much like our own. They are known for their problem-solving abilities in new situations which can sometimes match that of young children or even teen-agers, as well as the ability to even recognize polarized light. The cuttlefish however, is much more evolved to a more civilized society, as can be observed in Sepia apama, the GIANT Australian Cuttlefish. These Cuttlefish, that get 3" long, are AMAZINGLY civilized. This is shown during breeding, when males fight for females. Rather than try to kill each other, (and, I might add, there can be over 100 cuttlefish in one congregation) the males compete by flashing their most spectacular color patterns to impress the females, only resorting to violence if a loser attempts breeding anyway. Octopi, however, in the same situation, would kill each other.(:grad:) So it's a mixed package. I, personally, think they are equal.

Gabe

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
yep, it all depends what the controls and experiments were... both intelligent enough to survive in their niches

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acorn kid

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak