• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

whats the difference in bimac and vulgaris

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
can you get vulgaris aquacultured like u can a bimac

all i know of the vulgaris is that they can get bigger than a bimac

but also , how do the two (vulgaris and bimac) compare when it comes to color changing personality and ect.

It might be hard to find a captive raised vulgaris, because there babies are plectonic when they hatch and it is hard to take care of them at that stage.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
People (with big tanks) do sometimes keep vulgaris and they seem to make a good pet octo. They have plenty of personality. Downside is that they like to escape.

As far as I know, the bimac is the only tank-raised octo available to the public.

Nancy

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
I don't think vulgaris are diurnal while bimacs definitely are... Bimacs also display two iridescent eye spots just below the real eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak