"Wha, me attitude?" Not Ossie, the Octo

Akyu

GPO
Registered
Nah Chris, my partner spends just as much time as I do, only as lurker status. She's the one spending time cutting and splicing up the movies for all to see!

So, Nancy, are those eyespots?

We're now panicking that we have to move Ossie soon (if she isn't a dwarf and will grow at the same rate if not faster as she's been) and since we just lost about $700 in investments and will now have to replace my neighbor's carpet, will we have to forgo the mortgage? Ack!

Were the live rock and sand still damp? You might be able to save those parts of your set-up... Do they smell really bad??? Then it might be too late.

Akyu

GPO
Registered
No, the live rock and sand were completely dried out by the time we got home. We're going to dump them in salt water in a huge rubber bin, and let it sit there until we're ready to start our new tank again. W. has her eye on a 75 gal already, and we'll have to get some more live rock and sand then to seed the tank (the amount we have is enough for a 40 gal but not for a 75 gal.) I figure the rocks and sand will be *really* cured then :lol

We're pretty sure Ossie's a mercatoris; after all, a professor of marine biology specializing in cephalopods id'ed her. But, there's always that chance he mis-identified, so any help would be appreciated.

We're looking at bills and finances; I think at the latest, we'll have the new tank started in June. With any luck and careful financial planning, we may even be able to purchase the 75 gal. this weekend. (but there goes my MacBook Pro! *sigh*)

Akyu

GPO
Registered
Cuttlegirl, looking at those photos on Cephbase, Ossie looks more like an Octopus Digueti more than the bimacs (either one) or even the Octopus Mercatoris. But then it's hard to tell since we mostly see her under the red LED light.

She has no horns above her head.

Last night, we got her a special treat - a little red crab. Poor crab didn't last 6 hours in the tank. I found 8 legs and an empty shell this morning. I guess Ossie really liked it.

We think she inked a little last night - she's really timid around the camera now, even though she was showing off in front of the camera the night before (hopefully be able to post it tonight). We did an immediate water change and she seems to be okay this morning. (The crab was eaten after the water change).

Akyu

GPO
Registered
New Video of Ossie

Well, W. got the video together and through various trials and errors, we finally figured out where to host it.

Movie of Ossie - 1:35 min. long

Sorry for the fuzziness. This was shot under red LED light, with a digital camera and not a video camera. Plus, the transfer first to a quicktime movie and then Youtube converts the video to a flash animation and therefore the quality dropped even more. Watching this at work on a PC, it was really apparent how sharp the quality drop was, but it's the best we can do at this point, given a shy nocturnal Ossie, an early bird W. and our desire to purchase a larger home for Ossie so limited $.

Please let us know if you wish to see a clearer movie. We can send you the url to the quicktime movie.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Very nice video - I don't think I've seen one of a nocturnal octo before - yes, she's cute!

You might also want to contact Tony (tonmo). He can put videos onto Tonmo.

Nancy

aximbigfan

GPO
Registered
great video! thats the first time i have seen an octopus under a red light...
BTW: hows the little cheph doing?

chris

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Nice video! Did anyone watch the camaflauge one also? I recognize the coloration of some of my octopuses I've had. Must be a standard coloring for matching a bed of seaplants.

Latest Posts