• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

UK Aquarium

softmick

Cuttlefish
Registered
I was on holiday at the weekend just above the Lake District here in the UK.

I dont know if any of the UK folks have been but I would reccomend the Lake District Coast Aquarium.

They must have had around 25 cuttles in two tanks and oddly they had 3 native british octos in one, they all looked really healthy and the staff were very helpful and ready to talk.

If anyone is interested have a look at the link below:

www.lakedistrict-coastaquarium.co.uk/

They also have a picture of a cuttle:

http://www.lakedistrict-coastaquarium.co.uk/Aquarium.htm

That looks great Softmick, quite rare to find a UK aquarium with an abundance of Cephs. I spent ages looking in the Octo tank and Weymouth's sealife centre without seeing even a hint of an arm. I recall that the octo at the London Aquarium was very active, but as that was eight years ago I daresay it won't be the same one.

Did you get any pics of the octopuses yourself?

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I sorely nees to go back down to the lake district again. Tis a lovely place. The St. Andrews Aquarium (formerly the original Sea Life Centre- they seem to all be closing down) has a tank with Eledone cirrhosa. THey were realyl helpful there, giving me a preserved specimen that you guys will have seen by now:biggrin2:

Also there is Deep Sea World at Queensferry with a really awesome tunnel complete with conveyor. Think they had cuttles but I'm not sure. They used to have a biiig old tank with those random pipes nad things for octopuses to squeeze through. Ain't been for yonks though- a visit is long overdue. Both are great places.

linky here- St Andrews

Dee Sea World linky

Both great places, and both on the East coast. Iffen you find yourself in Scotland- I suggest a trip!

Graeme

Speaking of conveyer belt aqauriums, it seems that all the large one's I've visited have one. And I thought it was supposed to be a "special feature", but now everyone's a feature..but non of them special. :sad:

But if the conveyer belt aquarium has cuttles, I'll be thrilled. :smile:

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
chrono_war01 said:
Speaking of conveyer belt aqauriums, it seems that all the large one's I've visited have one. And I thought it was supposed to be a "special feature", but now everyone's a feature..but non of them special. :sad:

But if the conveyer belt aquarium has cuttles, I'll be thrilled. :smile:

We don't! But then we're most definitely NOT a large aquarium!! :biggrin2:

J

Juliana

Hatchling
Registered
Hi,

Lake District Coast Aquarium

The Lake District Coast Aquarium is on the quayside at Maryport, a small historic port on Cumbria�s western coast. We are easy to find, with official brown signs as you approach Maryport from any direction.

For a more detailed map of Maryport and information on Bus and Train links tab on `detailed Map` page.
Pay Parking is available right outside the aquarium ( there are four disabled spaces) or if you want free parking all day this is two minutes walk away�.just look for the signs as you approach the aquarium.
:cool2:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaneMom6800

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak