• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Tremoctopus at Molassas reef in FL

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Thanks, I sent the link on Ken and Kara (they dive molasses a lot for coral planting) and suggested they watch for one. I did mention that they are not aquarium animals so catching one for me was not being suggested :biggrin2:

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Wow! Stunning as ever, but which species might it be, I have never seen this mottled appearance in T. violaceus violaceus before, although this picture @ tolweb suggests otherwise, hmmmm...

Then again, the specimen in this shot was identified as T. violaceus gracilis, and it has the spots as shown in the reefcentral pics. I have a sneeking suspicion, however, that ID's from photographs may be not quite be what they're cracked up to be :wink:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Thales' link has an interview with the diver and he is suitably excited. I'll bet he will never dive without a camera now (he really got some terrific shot!). According to the news coverage, they are actually common in the Atlantic but normally stay further out in the gulf Stream and are rarely seen by divers. The weather has been bringing in lots of critters (the man-o-war being the least desired) of late.

Blanket Octopus

Hey guys, I'm the lucky diver that photographed it. One of the members suggested I join here . It was pretty crazy seeing that thing in person. Nobody had any clue what it was, I just started snapping pics of it.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellvn

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak