[Octopus]: Tranny - O. briareus

I didnt buy any scallops. Like you he had some before and eat one but not again. The mussels and clams though he loves. It is really convenient to feed these. I dont have to work to get them open. Pull a couple out and thaw them and drop them in. I wish he would push the shells out to the front instead of the back of the tank but not a big deal. Has anyone ever had to deal with a bunch of bristle worms. Seems like they like trannys den. I took his den rock out today and blew about 12 good size ones out of the rock with compressed air. then put the rock in a bucket with clean RO water for about an hour then back in the tank. I havent seen any others in the tank. just in his rock. I am sure its because thats where the food is

I have over reproductive issues with bristle worms in the octo tanks, particularly in the rocks and have not good solution. Sometimes I take a rock out and soak it in heavy salt water but don't know how much damage that does to the bacteria. It does seem to make the worms exit the rock and make them lethargic (as will low oxygen I recently found out when my son unplugged the pump on one of my non-octo tanks). I never thought to use the compressor to blow out the rock though and will experiment with your method when I next reduce the population!

Oh sure now it works. Ok update on tranny. he is doing well. I found a new food again. Scyllarides nodifer or bulldozer lobsters. Tranny eat one yesterday and if he keeps on eating them I will post a link for everyone to buy them. They come from a wholesaler so she can ship anywhere. There about 1.5 to 2" long and if I am right its what tranny would eat in the wild. I will keep you posted

I put 3 bait shrimp in Trannys tank and he caught and eat the first 2 in a few days but the last one is smart. its funny to watch tranny hunt the shrimp. Tranny does like the bulldozer lobsters and gets at least one per week. He also still gets one crawfish per week. He is doing well and as you can see from the video he has become used to the bright lights being on and is out for a couple hours every morning. till about 930 or 10. Some times he comes back out at 430 or 5 and other times not till 10pm no its not consistant

I think the end is near. Tranny is out a lot during the day and not eating. Sat when I left I gave him his fav A crawfish and this morning I found the crawfish dead but untouched. He has been acting funny for a week or so. Just now he was sleeping on top of his den and moving with the currant. "I have a wave maker" just swaying back and forth. I had to touch him to make sure he wasnt dead. I cant complain I have had him for a long time. Longer then most get to keep octos. I will post when He passes so D can add the timeline

Sorry to hear about Tranny's passing and thanks for struggling through our upgrade to report. I missed the last two posts and will be very glad when we have notifications and new updates more like the old system.

I am afraid Margay and Onn are not far behind. Margay is white unless you interact with her and Onn is showing some cork screwing in his arms but both are still eating well. I keep looking for eggs with Margay as she is staying in her den most of the day and does not wander more than a few inches away. Unfortunately, any eggs would not be fertile so there will be no joy when it happens.

I would be very interested in trying these little lobster critters. Are they local and how big do they get? I have a small spotted animal in its own tank that looks much like the ones we eat (but smaller and with bright white spots). I am not sure I could feed one of these to the octos though :roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back