• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

This could cut down on vacation fun!

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Darnit... AND they got Physalia physalis down as a jellyfish again, stuuupeeed media.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
It seems NYC can't be left out either

http://scienceblogs.com/deepseanews/2008/08/revenge_of_the_jellies.php

I remember vacationing in FL as a teen (and being stung solidly snorkeling once) and later with my children and often seeing many Man-O-War on the beach, jelly fish in the surf (thanks for the hint OB, I had no idea Man-O-War were NOT jelly fish) and beach closings when they were too numerous. I have not seen them in years. The furthest back anyone has mentioned in these articles is 20 years and the time frame I refer to is 30 - 40 years ago. It seems we have not kept records before now. In this case, I can't help but wonder about cyclic trends. I don't doubt the problems and nothing bad can come of our heightened awareness but I am not sold about this "sign"

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
...and now we have them in Arizona!!!! Oh wait, that was a cricket...

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
cthulhu77;122626 said:
...and now we have them in Arizona!!!! Oh wait, that was a cricket...

You don't get them until California drops off and takes part of Mexico with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak