The swedish octopus ;)

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
The reurn on the Skimmer Will be above the water line so that's good.
I actually ordered a jebao rw 8 with that I can make wave motions on the surface and get good movement on the surface :smile: hope that will be enough to make sure the water gets oxygenated.

Dwhatley do you think the hole I show in the picture above will be enough of a opening? and with good amount of surface movement will give me enough oxygen? If yes I'm happy

Sorry if my English is bad haha trying to be as understood as possible :smile:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Sadly, measuring oxygen levels is not something hobbyists can do, we can only guess. Since I use an open sump, I can only suggest ways I know should help but can't give experienced advice.

Your English is clearly understood :thumbsup:. Do not hesitate to ask for clarification if mine is not :biggrin2:. I tend to ramble a little :roll: and esoteric terms and local idioms can be confusing even to native speakers of any language.

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
I understand no worries it's a good thing I lived in California for a year haha it has helped me a lot with the English :smile:

I think it will work with that hole and good amount of movement on the surface but I still don't want to risk anything. I understand it's hard to suggest something we haven't tried. I am starting to think I might just make the tank half open with a mosquito net over the opening so the octopus won't be able to squeeze out but at the same time I will have a bigger open area and make sure it will get enough oxygen. I must say there is a lot to think of when planing a octopus tank haha well I guess that's one of the fun parts as well though:smile:

I am very grateful of all the help you guys are giving me and all the suggestions I get, this forum is great and you guys are great. I keep you updated so stay tuned:smile:

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hello everyone! the cycling is going forward! Got my liverock 8 days ago so I am in week number 2 right now :biggrin2: feels really good to see the tank running and cycling, just have to remind myself that it takes time and that I need to have patience haha :wink:. When my amonia and nitrite is at 0 I will get some hermitcrabs and snails as clean up crew, I know they will get eaten at some point but thats when I will fill up with more of them, I am just happy if they can be there for a while. One positive thing is that the liverock i got from my LFS was full of crabs !!! yaay thats just perfect ;D

as said before i will keep you updated, we all just need patience for the moment haha :wink:

Cheers from sweden :smile:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Once you have no ammonia and no nitrites, you can also think about a brittle star. They are kind of recluse but will learn dinner time and can often be hand fed. Avoid the green. If you can find a red, they are my favorite and will sometimes come out during the day.

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
Thats sounds as a good Idea DWhatley :smile:

The cycling is going forward but i have discovered a bad thing With the liverock .. yesterday i was looking in the tank and i saw a isopod... i know they are parasites and i HATE Them... i am even worried to put my hands in the tank now wich is soo anoying especially if I would like to change something within the tank. :frown: and I'm worried the octopus will get hurt by the isopods. Does anyone here now anyway of getting rid of them or can they basically starve to death I mean there is nothing in the tank to suck blood from. Please guys help me.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
In addition to @cuttlegirl 's thoughts, are you sure these are not amphipods? Generally speaking we see tons of safe, tiny shrimp like creatures come to life as a tank matures. These are desirable and will provide both cleanup and food for the octopus.

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
:roflmao:After looking really close at it in sure it was a amphipod haha i get scared to easy. I'm so excited right now and i am basically staring at my empty tank every day hahah.

Will send some pics as soon as I get some time.

Attachments

• IMG_2304.JPG
    IMG_2304.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2303.JPG
    IMG_2303.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 69