• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Tank size and temp for O. briareus (was "Question")

SandV

Wonderpus
Registered
I am looking at getting an Octopus Briareus.....however, i have searched and searched and cannot find anything specific on careing for this species.

I want to know what size tank you would recommend and the temp. you recommend keeping him at....

If anyone knows of a link to information on them it would be greatly appreciated...

Oh and one more question.... what would be the recommended substrate to keep him on?

thanks

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I'm not really experienced at this but i also plan on getting one and from what I've found out i know the tank should be around 55 gallons or bigger, and that the temp. should be 72-78* Fahrenheit. They need substrate thats smooth and isn't coarse. I'm sure there are people much more experienced with this though, and they can probably give you more specific information.
I found i learn the most by just reading all the posts related to briareus, so if you do a search you'll find several helpful links.

SandV

Wonderpus
Registered
substrate

why does it have to be smooth sand? I have shell substrate and I don't really want to take it out and start a new sand bed.... If I do that how long do you think i should wait before adding a octo.... It is currently an established tank that has been up for a couple of years and has no fish so there are LOTS of pods...

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
An octopus has delicate skin and needs a smooth substrate - I don't know how this would work tank-chemistry wise, but perhaps you could put 1/2 inch of smooth sand over what you have.

Nancy

SandV

Wonderpus
Registered
that sound like a much better idea then switching it... however... I understand the some octo's dig in the sand or burry themselves... I don't want him to get hurt... does the briareus dig...

SandV

Wonderpus
Registered
I have another question... how many people have power heads in with there octo... I am worried that it could hurt him or he would try and take it.. how do i keep him from taking it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak