• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Tank Cycle concern

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
Sometimes I have an impatience issue but I am not sure what to make of this. I have had my 60 gal tank set up preparing for an Octo since 8/3 (two and a half weeks) I had damsels in there at first to help start the cycling. I took out the damsels when starting to add the live rock-15lbs as of 8/15 with another 45lbs later this week. I am using a fluval 304 canister and the water is crystal clear. I have a skimmer but am not using it as of right now. Now for my problem/concerns and I dont know if I am being too premature on reacting to them or not. When I added the live rock I did a 30% water change because I had a high ammonia level about .5 Now, 4 days later I noticed these small semi-clear globs is the best way for me to describe them on the bottom of the tank. (see attached) but the rest of the tank is still clear. The readings-- ph- 7.6, alk- 3.5-4, Amm- 4.0, nitrite and nitrate 0-, and 74deg, some pretty bad numbers :banghead: . Soo my question is this- am I reacting to fast and worrying too much or should I just let the rest of the live rock come in and do its job? I know usually to do a water change but I just did that as well.. I am pullin my hair out that I must be doin this wrong some how. Oh, and is there a difference between toxic ammonia and non? Thank you everyone for your prior help and any that I can get now!!!

Attachments

while some may disagree, I personaly, when cyceling my 3 tanks, used live rock as the major biolgoical filtration.
I then let the tank sit for a week, the levels went up and down.
Then I added a number of snails and crabs as my catalyst for the nitrate cycle.
The amonia went up much slower, came down faster, and I didn't do a water change for 3 weeks.
But I did daily testing for the first 2 weeks, then every other day for the next 3.
Oh, I kept the lights on a normal day time cycle as well to help promote normal agae growth.
*shug*
It may be time for you to lear the art of patience.
It's your best friend in this step. :biggrin2:

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
Thank you gravesly!! I guess I have the knowledge that I have patience but not having done this before I really am learning on the fly here as to how this should go. Any idea on what those "globs" are?

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
Thank you for the info.. I had been told that left over fish food would help with the cycling and it seems like much of these globs are in these areas. I have not had anything else live in this tank so not sure bout the sponge thing. How long would it take for them to turn green if thats what they are? I will update if I see them change..

Don't throw fish food in there. Just get the rock in a let it sit for a while. Don't do any more water changes, it just prolongs the cycle. Only add the top off water from evaporation. pH shouldn't be that low. 7.9 is pretty much the lowest you want it to get and that it should get if you are using good salt. That also is a good pH to have at night because when the lights are off the pH drops; during the day you want to shoot for 8.3. If it doesn't come up in a while you will want to get a buffer for it. Alkalinity measured in dKH or meq/L? If dKh that is really low and could be the source of the pH issue.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
If you haven't added all your live rock, do it now. Adding it in stages will likely result in more cycling.

Once all the rock is in, I wouldn't even bother checking any levels at all for a few weeks. :biggrin2:

Bigpapa;100153 said:
Thank you for the info.. I had been told that left over fish food would help with the cycling and it seems like much of these globs are in these areas. I have not had anything else live in this tank so not sure bout the sponge thing. How long would it take for them to turn green if thats what they are? I will update if I see them change..
What I meant when I suggested dead sponge was sponge that would have been on the rock when you bought it, dies during cycling. Again though, looks very similar to a transparent tunicate. You might Google that and see what I'm talking about.

For example: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rs/testpop.htm?images/image016.jpg

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
ok, shipposhack that is meq and the fish food is what was left over from the damsels I had in there, no more was added. Thales, I should get the rock in a few days=I ordered it from Dan on here, he is sending it on Monday. Animal Mother, I will check that out in the morning== thank you all for the feedback!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak