• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

RO/DI System needed?

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
We have a local 'watermill station' a few minuets from our house that sells water very inexpensively labeled "virus, bacteria, arsenic, nitrates, and more free". All homes in our area run on wells so I was thinking about getting our tank started with this water. My question is- if I used this water would I still need a RO/DI system?

pkilian

Vampyroteuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I don't think you would. I would treat the water with dechlorinating drops before you used it in a system but it *should* be okay to use. Maybe do a test with a non-ceph aquarium first. I don't have much experience using non-seawater in tanks.

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
I don't think you would. I would treat the water with dechlorinating drops before you used it in a system but it *should* be okay to use. Maybe do a test with a non-ceph aquarium first. I don't have much experience using non-seawater in tanks.
It would be for a saltwater tank for a Bimac. I was thinking this may be better quality base water to mix the salt in? It would defiantly be more purified than the well water we have.