• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Responsibilities associated with keeping and breeding cephs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
([Edit by tonmo]: I moved this from a thread over in Marketplace. What ensues is a discussion / debate related to responsible cephkeeping and breeding)

If you can't sell all of them, will you be able to put them back in the ocean, in a place where bimacs are found?

Nancy

Fishfreak218

GPO
Registered
Nancy;82742 said:
If you can't sell all of them, will you be able to put them back in the ocean, in a place where bimacs are found?

Nancy

thats not a good idea!!
hvant you ever heard NOT to put things BACK into the ocean!!! They have prob. come across alot of other parasites and other things that arent native to where he would be letting them go!
not a good idea IMO

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
FF218, I'm not a ceph-keeping expert but I know the Seattle Aquarium has done this with their cephs in the past.

Right. I didn't say they didn't. Virtually all life forms harbor parasitic animals, but not all are harmful, or deadly. He could have used NSW, then the same parasites would be on the wild animals as well.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Captive bred animals are not allowed to be released into the wild. Period.

The only times that they have been have met with mixed results, and usually a failure. The problem is, why are these octopus being produced if there is no where for them to go?

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
This reminds me of the "burmese python" problem....people just bred them willy-nilly, and when they couldn't sell them, released them.
Now we have breeding populations of them in the wild. Nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak