Preference of squid......

oo...maybe a fishing trip for us members after TONMOcon ends sounds nice. (Mind if I ask how do you catch the squiddies?)

Who's wants a fishing trip after TONMOcon?

a rabid squid

GPO
Registered
its basically the same idea as a bug zapper when we use a light boat (we dont always, sometimes we just rely on our high powered sonar) but there's a smaller boat with high powered lights and the squid are drawn to it. then the large boat uses it's skiff to lay a very large net around the school of squid. then the net is pulled aboard and put in the hatch. the hatch is below freezing and is probably the least painful way to kill a squid. i think thats what people do to suffering cephs... put them in the freezer.

great idea, but does is it possible to actually board one of the small well-lit (understatment of the decade) boats and try fishing for them there?

a rabid squid

GPO
Registered
i dont know thats up to the fishermen. but our dock is right across the street from MBARI and i think some of you are going there. you should ask one of the capitains. you could probably pay them or something. or maybe just work on the boat.

a rabid squid

GPO
Registered
great idea, but does is it possible to actually board one of the small well-lit (understatment of the decade) boats and try fishing for them there?

well the light boats are independent from our boats...
you'd probably want to go on the ocean angel 2, its a lot nicer and the people on it are too.
:smile: