Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

My vivid imagination at work. :roll:

The red is the two BCs, (the one on the right is questionable). The green is an imaginary crinoid stem with two bulges (parasitic infestations). Have you seen anything like this on a complete crinoid stem?

I may just be barking up the wrong tree. :heee:

Attachments

• conv_298452.jpg
    conv_298452.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 87
Have you seen anything like this on a complete crinoid stem?

I don't think so, nothing that large. I went back and looked at the posts you mentioned, I can see some distortion in the first one.

I'm really liking the B.C. angle though. Here's a picture I took today....

Attachments

• conv_298453.jpg
    conv_298453.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
Mystery solved! I was really getting tired of looking at this one, it was one of the first fossils I picked up at this location. I don't think I would have come to this solution on my own.:notworth:

I'm really proud of this little fossil, it's the first one I found while learning how to split rock, there are a couple of pockets of gravel left behind (mostly hand size chunks) where I practice. So I've done a lot of browsing and can't figure out what it is, I'm wondering if it could be part of a gastropod shell? It's about 1 cm. long. :biggrin2:

Attachments

• conv_298456.jpg
    conv_298456.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
:oops:Well, I'm a little embarrassed, I searched everything but corals! I think the shell material is what threw me (looks like original shell material??). The Horn Corals I've found around here usually are covered with beekite, like these below. They're a little older too from the Ridley Limestone, middle Ordovician.You can see the beekite rings on the little broken one in the left top corner of pic. thanks for the id. and links.:smile:

Attachments

• conv_298462.jpg
    conv_298462.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 79
Wow! Those are really replaced! I can see why you wouldn't look at coral.

Thank you for the Beekite explanation, I have never heard of that before. :oops:

That explains the circular pattern on these little Triassic ammonoids.

Beekite Rings. :cool2:

Attachments

• conv_298463.jpg
    conv_298463.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 76
  • conv_298464.jpg
    conv_298464.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 92
:smile:That IS really cool, I've only seen it on Horn Corals, I noticed the circular pattern on that first ammonoid when you first posted it, but didn't make the connection. I wonder why I only see it on corals?

I'm pretty sure I ran across an explanation of beekite from a link you supplied me with on the first page of this thread.:heee:

Terri;179683 said:
I'm pretty sure I ran across an explanation of beekite from a link you supplied me with on the first page of this thread.

Nashville Geology Homepage
, I didn't delve into it deep enough before.:read: A very nice blurb on Beekite in the Fossil Formation Exercise.

I still think their trilobite is a cephalopod, unlike your trilobite in post #87 :biggrin2:

:cool2:Thanks for the link Kevin, awfully complicated for such a tiny creature. I'm pretty sure I have some or what I suspect to be Ostracods, I'll look tommorrow. They would be really hard to id. without a microscope or a really good camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back