Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

I've picked up a few bugs but haven't picked up any POOP yet Kevin, I'm going to keep that in mind from now on before I reach for something, we do have a lot of deer around here!:sagrin:

Just a small orthocone? Would this be an example of expanded siphuncle segments? And if so would that make it an Actinocerid?

Attachments

• conv_296942.jpg
    conv_296942.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 107
Here are some I found that look a lot like yours Terri. I think they are both (mine and yours) just the matrix filling the chambers, the shell has been lost, leaving just matrix. They are very old so there has been a lot of dissolution and replacement so the original form may have changed a little. :smile:
The siphuncle is not expanded enough to be an actinocerid, and it isn't large enough to be an endocerid, I'd say it is just an orthocone (Michelinocerid or Orthocerid (confused classification)):smile:

Attachments

• conv_296943.jpg
    conv_296943.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 98
Attractive specimens both of you. I have a similar looking "Orthoceras" from the Ordovician Hope Shales of Shropshire. It's 9 cm long and accompanied by a Barrandia trilobite, a Didymograptus and a little gastropod.

Attachments

• conv_296944.jpg
    conv_296944.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 106
I have a new location that I have permission to look and collect on, as soon as I walked onto the property I stepped into a small basin, maybe a couple acres across, limestone exposed across the bottom with coral weathering out from the rims. The limestone is full of gastropods, brachiopods, bryozoan, crinoids and finally after hours of looking what I think are a couple of very small orthocones, the first picture is of what I think are orthocones and the next 2 just examples of what I'm finding there:

Attachments

• conv_297076.jpg
    conv_297076.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 104
  • conv_297077.jpg
    conv_297077.jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 121
  • conv_297078.jpg
    conv_297078.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 73
This is not going to sound very bright, but I'm fairly new to this and I don't always know exactly what I'm looking at. As far as I know I have not, but it looks like I am going to have a lot of stuff to sort through and learn from at this new location, I'll post anything promising! I'm really hoping for more cephalopods:heee:

Cool!! :cool2:

That looks very promising Terri, some very fossiliferous rock, enjoy going over every inch, I sure would. :biggrin2:

The top pic does show a couple of orthocone sections, they will be hard to ID as the siphuncle don't show. The middle pic also shows a possible body chamber, but without sutures it is hard to be sure. Great finds all around, enjoy the new digs!

Architeuthoceras;164312 said:
Cool!! :cool2:

That looks very promising Terri, some very fossiliferous rock, enjoy going over every inch, I sure would. :biggrin2:

The top pic does show a couple of orthocone sections, they will be hard to ID as the siphuncle don't show. The middle pic also shows a possible body chamber, but without sutures it is hard to be sure. Great finds all around, enjoy the new digs!

Thanks Kevin, I think I will have to invest in some knee pads:roll: I had noticed the body chamber in the middle pic. but was unsure. I still have 30 acres to get to, but theres so much going on in that little spot I can't seem to get past it.

D, with your scientific mind and my ability to stumble onto good fossil sites and then charm the owners of the property into giving me access, we would make a good team!:heee:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back