Ordovician in Tennessee (Help!)

Global warming must mean local cooling
I think the official name has been changed to Global Climate Change to more correctly identify the oddities in weather.

It's just like being there, isn't it
Not exactly, unless I pretend the skinned up knuckles from my LR are from digging around in the rocks.

Hi Kevin, I'm afraid this will be non- ceph, but it is near the stromatoporoids that I thought might be cephs:heee: I took this pic. when I found the sponge reefs posted earlier in this thread, this is the bottom of a huge slab hanging out over the rock face that the reefs are on. If my memory serves me about 20 ft overhead. To give a little scale the hour glass shape in the left upper side of pic. may be a little longer than my hammer (guesstimate). I'm wondering if these could be sponge or just some odd stuff on the bottom of a rock?:hmm:
I'll have to re-check but I think that location was the Nashville Group; Bigby-Cannon Limestone.

Attachments

• conv_296613.jpg
    conv_296613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
:oops:Thanks D, it really wasn't foggy at all, just a bad picture. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to photoshop:-/ I would rather be fossil hunting:smile:

Actually for that kind of over exposure issue, any simple photo program (including Google's free Picasa ) will offer enough really simple correction to sharpen the image and remove the "fog" in 2 minutes tops. Bad focus, however is not something easily adjusted.

Well, I'm learning something or it was a really good guess!:roll: This next fossil is really getting on my nerves, if there were no ammonoids in the ordivician (correct me if I'm wrong) then this must be a gastropod?

Attachments

• conv_296910.jpg
    conv_296910.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 117
  • conv_296911.jpg
    conv_296911.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 92
Ammonoids first appear in abundance in Devonian rocks, so this is a little old for them. Most fossils of chambered cephalopod shells will show some sign of the septa, without septa they are probably gastropods. Maclurites is a very common fossil in Ordovician rocks, some of them on THIS search look a lot like yours Terri. And THIS old thread shows one I found, and was wondering if it was a cephalopod. :smile:

Thanks again Kevin, that is one of the many reasons I love this forum, I always get a response and information. I also feel so much better knowing that at one time you also suspected a gastropod of being an ammonoid.:heee:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back