• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

octopus behaving strangely

My octopus has been acting very strange lately. First of all he has not eaten in 5 days. He always wanders around like he normally does when he wants food but when I offer to him he has no interest in it. The second thing is that the very tip of three of his arms are missing. It's only about a half a centimeter but I'm worried it might be autophagy. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
How long have you had your octopus? The ammonia should be at zero. Is he trying to climb out of the water by staying at the top of the tank? I would do a waterchange if you haven't already. Good luck!

Carol

I have him for about 5 months. He hasn't been rtying to climb out of the water either. Infact he has been staying more near the bottom lately.

cttlfish

Blue Ring
Registered
I would definatly do a water change. Tests are not always accurate, and it may be too late by the time your octo does try to climb out.

Yeah I will do a water change tomorrow. I'm concerned about the fact that he is missing the tips of his arms though. I suppose I should wait and see. Does this sound like autophagy to anyone who has dealt with it before?

Thanks for all the advice.
Ben

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
bmatson said:
Yeah I will do a water change tomorrow. I'm concerned about the fact that he is missing the tips of his arms though. I suppose I should wait and see. Does this sound like autophagy to anyone who has dealt with it before?

Thanks for all the advice.
Ben

It doesn't sound like autophagy..............but it does sound like either a water problem or senility. In autophagy they tend to bite the arms off at the base.

Do a water change ASAP. IF things don't improve it may be old age......sorry

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak