• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Octopus begging for food

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Fantastic pics !!!!! That is great !!! (but, are you sure he isn't waving frantically to warn you of that horrific thing behind you ???)

Unfortunately I have no idea as to the species. It has no ocelli, is diurnal, has a normal mottled brown color, very long arms...am still awaiting the octo world guide book. Thanks.

Ian

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi Ian,
those would have been my next questions too, so yeah its a fair chance that it is O. aculeatus that you have. I have kept several of them in the past and enjoyed keeping them :smile:

Perhaps a search on TONMO.com will lead you to other threads and pics of them?

here is a pic of one of mine from early 2002

cheers #
colin

Attachments

Great pics.

I believe a lot of the success people have with interactive octos is due to their owners being in the room a lot. For example, watching TV or playing on the computer in the same room as the octo. The octo then gets more accustomed to you.

My bimac is still quite secretive. I just freed him from his critter keeper a week ago, so he's able to roam the tank, but he spends much of the time hidden in the live rock. I work during the day, and the tank is in an otherwise empty room, so I don't watch tv there, etc. When I'm in there I usually have my nose pressed up against the glass looking for him, or am doing some tank maintenance. I'm hoping he'll feel a little more social in the near future. Any thoughts?

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Lockburn,

Good to see that you're taking the plunge again after the Lost Generation this last spring. I'd already have another one, too, but I'm using a cross-country move as an excuse to make some changes to my system.

Dan

Thanks for the information Colin, you are indeed probably correct in the species being O. aculeatus. I did a search and superficially the characteristics are very similar, especially of note are the pronounced webs on the arms.

If the octopus deosn't get any diversion in the room it stands to reason it would be "jumpy" and shy. Mimius seems to prefer some action in the room and bobs its head up and down when its really interested in what myself or my family are doing. Mostly it seems to associate me with food which guarantees that when I come around its out in front waiting. Good news for octo owners!

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaneMom6800

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak