• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: O Tetricus

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Sad but interesting that is is laying singular eggs. The Caribbean females I have kept have all laid them in clusters over a couple of days. We have not had a journal with eggs for O. Tetricus so it would be interesting if you would continue to post observations, particularly for timing. If I am not mistaken, this is a small egg species so the chances of having any hatchlings survive are slim to none but observing the egg development, timing and how long the hatchlings survive would be nice to have recorded.

Mot Reyd

Cuttlefish
Registered
up until this afternoon it was only 2-3 but i just came home to an entire festoon being set on the side glass of the tank
has anyone ever experienced an octopus not choosing a den and laying on the glass
and also what about fertilized v unfertilized
Update: She ripped the festoon off and left it floating around the tank I think my sudden arrival home may have started her and she is back in her den as of now

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
has anyone ever experienced an octopus not choosing a den and laying on the glass
I've seen this on TONMO in the past... here's one such example.

And yes, have had many folks report both fertilized vs. unfertilized eggs. Do you know which yours are? Apparently it's fairly easy to tell... they will either appear to be empty or not.

Mot Reyd

Cuttlefish
Registered
She wont keep the eggs attached to anything, just keep laying them and ripping them off... keeps the hermits happy i guess

Mot Reyd

Cuttlefish
Registered
She passed away today after becoming increasingly withdrawn and refusing food, it must have happened sometime shortly before i arrived home from work at 5pm (typing at 9:28) because when i removed her from the tank all her ink was still intact and some of the suckers continued to suck
I will miss my funny little buddy, and i will commence the hunt for a replacment as soon as it warms up ( winter here) enough to go rockpooling again

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Typical brood behavior and post brood outcome sadly. I am also cephless ATM and will likely have to wait until it cools down :wink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak