• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: O. Briareus - Unwitting Ichthyologist at the Florida Museum

Hi everyone, sorry for the long break but all of us at the museum were kind of scrambling to adjust to the new covid regulations. Anyhow, yesterday I saw that our lovely octopus Blue (that's the name we finally decided on) has eggs!!

20200429_112112.jpg

They're maybe around 1 cm in length and milky white. Since my last post she had remained quite shy, although she would venture to put out a tentacle and snatch food during the regular feedings in the morning. She would get more rambunctious with whole crabs and shrimp; we even put in a school of silversides and a whole slew of spider crabs for her to hunt, which she finished in short order. Thankfully she still has not touched the big slipper lobster, brittle stars, or sea urchins. It wasn't until maybe a week ago that she stopped coming out for feedings, so at the end of last week we moved some rocks and found her with her clutch. We'll wait and see whether or not they are fertile, but if they are we may have some folks around the museum who would be interested in attempting to rear these little buggers. I'll try to keep updating you all on their progress!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
It is quite likely that they are fertile. I took a series of images over time and made a collage with Kooah's brood that may be helpful as you watch the eggs.

@Neogonodactylus recently posted a photo of a blue ring and her clutch that show just about every stage of development all in one cluster. This is an amazing image. Not only do you see the eyes but a couple of animals are developed enough to see their chromataphores. Some of the octos show the yolk sack toward the narrow end where others have flipped and it is toward the wider end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syd Kasten

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak