[Non-Ceph] Bits 'n Pieces

Very cool. I've had a though bouncing around in my head for years that it's weird that the filter-feeding cetaceans are smart, since it's usually the case that the main selection pressure for intelligence is active hunting... so perhaps they evolved to be smart, then they evolved to be filter feeders (by realizing they could be smart and lazy). Of course, it's also possible that being smart enough to find schools of krill strategically is to their advantage, too... And there's probably not too much pressure to lose intelligence once you have it (although modern human development sometimes makes me wonder...)

Interesting thoughts there Monty, as ever.

I wonder when and when the earliest baleen plates are known from? I've also found it interesting that the larged toothed whales are so outnumbered by their baleen plated cousins. After all, squid are found all over the world in huge numbers and one might not unreasonably expect that more species of whale might have evolved to exploit this.

Maybe I'm just not thinking this through, but it is 3:15am!

Some might remember this from a post some time ago - back in 2004 I found this eye popping beastie in my local opencast coal mine. Was pottering about one sunday morning when I noticed a likely looking nodule had dropped from a block of mudstone that had been sitting on the tips for weeks. Thinking it might contain a nice fern or cone I gave it a tap and was gobsmacked by what appeared. Its now been described and not only is it a new species its a new genus! Anglopterum magnificum or Englands Magnificent Wing if my latin is correct. The paper "New homoiopterids from the Late Carboniferous of England (Insecta:Palaeodictyoptera)" is available on the web as a pdf file - google "Crock Hey" and it should be one of the first things to pop up. We're talking about a fly with a wingspan of about 30cm here. I am somewhat chuffed!

Andy

Attachments

• conv_289877.jpg
    conv_289877.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 81
  • conv_289878.jpg
    conv_289878.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 84
I think technically only the right hand half is the holotype - I wasn't involved in the write up and was never asked for any more photos

Did you have to give the holotype to some museum or something, or were you allowed to keep it? I don't know how that sort of stuff works...

At the moment they both reside with me but will at some point be finding their way to an institution (having too much fun showing and telling at the moment). I've sent a latex mould to one of the authors of the paper. Actually I didn't come under any pressure to give them up which I think is a good thing really - far better to have new finds brought to the attention of the scientific community by finders who don't feel an obligation to hand them over than to have things hidden away unknown for fear of being expected to give them up - thats my opinion anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back