• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[News]: Catch of the day: Rare tentacle - KSBY

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Catch of the day: Rare tentacle
[SIZE=-1]KSBY, CA - 40 minutes ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A fisherman snags a rare catch in the Santa Barbara Channel, a tentacle belonging to a giant squid. The 13-foot-long tentacle was ... [/SIZE]

More...

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
That's always encouraging. Awesome. I love the Central Coast. Squid country.

"The tentacle, reaching about 13 feet, was about the diameter of a broomstick "

If a London routemaster bus is the standard unit of measurement for length then surely the 'broomstick' must now be the standard unit for diameter? What say you?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Tintenfisch;77546 said:
Oooh, that's Moroteuthis robusta territory... but I suppose it would have mentioned hooks if it had 'em. Dang. :hmm:

There was a lot of footage of the club being inspected by Dr. Hochberg on KCAL9, and it looked pretty "classic architeuthis" to my untrained eye. I didn't record it, though, I'm afraid.

http://cbs2.com/video/[email protected]
http://cbs2.com/video/[email protected]

are the clips. The first one has Dr. Hochberg say "architeuthis" specifically, so I'm afraid you're out of luck in that regard, Kat...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlServi

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak