[News]: Catch of the day: Rare tentacle - KSBY

"The tentacle, reaching about 13 feet, was about the diameter of a broomstick "

If a London routemaster bus is the standard unit of measurement for length then surely the 'broomstick' must now be the standard unit for diameter? What say you?

Tintenfisch;77546 said:
Oooh, that's Moroteuthis robusta territory... but I suppose it would have mentioned hooks if it had 'em. Dang. :hmm:

There was a lot of footage of the club being inspected by Dr. Hochberg on KCAL9, and it looked pretty "classic architeuthis" to my untrained eye. I didn't record it, though, I'm afraid.

http://cbs2.com/video/[email protected]
http://cbs2.com/video/[email protected]

are the clips. The first one has Dr. Hochberg say "architeuthis" specifically, so I'm afraid you're out of luck in that regard, Kat...

Tiz GS. Interesting reference to orca having (possibly) eaten the beast; this is not something we would expect, at least in these (southern) parts (where they eat mainly coastal/shallow water species of fish and ray).

Steve O'Shea;77690 said:
Tiz GS. Interesting reference to orca having (possibly) eaten the beast; this is not something we would expect, at least in these (southern) parts (where they eat mainly coastal/shallow water species of fish and ray).

Is it generally easy to tell from a severed squid-part when it was chomped by a toothed whale vs removed by some other cause? Of course, I can't think of many things that would remove parts of a giant squid that aren't toothed whales, except perhaps it trying to attack the tail end of a submarine...

I didn't think Orcas (or Sperm Whales) were common off central California anyway; there are dolphins, and baleen whales like humpbacks and grays, but those are the only cetaceans I've heard of around California...

There's an active pod in Monterey Bay and along the Big Sur coast that hangs out there to attack migrating baleen whales and take their young.

If memory serves right, there was a NG program on how they found that one sort of orcas would eat fish and the seals and whales don't mind their presence. And then another group arrived which had a variation during the clicks and squeels during communitcating. It was found that the new group did not eat fish but mostly hunted marine mammals....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back