• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New O.briareus help

Good evening,
A little background on me, I’ve been in the reefkeeping world for about 13 years as a hobbyist turned professional. I run a full time aquarium maintenance company, so I’ve cared for so many different types of animals.

My concern with my Little octo is that I’ve had him for about two days and he hasn’t come out of the rock he was hiding in, he is light in color but assuming that’s because the rock is very light in color as well. He has one chromis and 4 snails, 3 hermits and 2 emerald crabs in the tank all for food. But it seems he hasn’t come out and I can only see him through a small hole roughly 3/16” in diameter.

I acclimated him over the course of serval hours, temp is at 79, all parameters are good- nitrate at 4ppm, 0 ammonia, ph is 8.2.

How long does it take for them to become comfortable in their home ?

2 weeks to fully acclimate. (Though I think I have read 10 days somewhere too) Try not to bug it a lot for that time. Just do your usual feeding and maintenance. Do you have another place for the fish to be? I would move it at least temporarily. It might help it come out

2 weeks to fully acclimate. (Though I think I have read 10 days somewhere too) Try not to bug it a lot for that time. Just do your usual feeding and maintenance. Do you have another place for the fish to be? I would move it at least temporarily. It might help it come out
Yea I can put him back in the store system, I just grabbed him come out and eat. I figured chromis hide in rocks at night so that would be an easy meal. I’ll pull him out and keep away from the tank.

Yea I can put him back in the store system, I just grabbed him come out and eat. I figured chromis hide in rocks at night so that would be an easy meal. I’ll pull him out and keep away from the tank.
Ok. Make sure the octopus eats. Try live emerald crabs just to make sure it has an appetite.

That's totally normal behavior for a new octopus. As Timothy said, 10-14 days is a very normal period of time for acclimation. You may also just have a shy octopus. They may become more comfortable in the tank and come out more, but they may also be content to hide in the rocks and eat at night. It's good to see that they are eating.

Another few missing this morning. The emeralds seem to be on edge lol. How many should these octo eat in a week? I order the emeralds for our store but 12 a week seemed enough but I think we would need more.
How many do yours eat?

Food really only needs to be a little bigger than there eyeball. Though you could go bigger but you want to cut back on left over body parts. How big is it? If this octopus is hand sized one emerald a day should be fine. Feed once a day.
Also what temperature are you keeping it at?
20°c is their low end. So I would shoot for 70°F that way you can extend its life cycle.

Hey I just wanted to update this post. Our little guy is doing great eating fresh shrimp pieces when I run out of emeralds- he is eating 12 emeralds in two weeks. He doesn’t come out at all during the day time.
C32F8CB3-C1B7-4E18-9404-594A71431A54.jpeg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back