• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

New Bimac Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Zoso

Blue Ring
Registered
My name is Alex, my name on N-R is ReefApprentice for those who care. My uncle has 100 baby bimacs and is bringing me one, so I have to set-up a tank by the 25th. I have 1 year experience in saltwater, so I am past the initial learning curve, and am on to more advanced topics rather than live rock and what it is. So I am getting a tank, maybe a 45 gallon, maybe a 60 for this magnificent creature. If it is a 45, I will be using a Fluval 204, Aqua C Remora protein skimmer, as well as around 30lbs of established live rock, and 30lbs of established live sand. Since the magic day of my octos arrival is in 2 weeks, I have to get moving!

I plan to keep the tank at 71 degrees, which is as low as I can go, without using a fan. If anyone has good ideas on how to cool the tank without spending a hetfy amount of money on a chiller, lmk. I will use a regular flourescent light, run for 7 hours a day. Since this octo will only be 3mths old when I get him/her, I will feed baby nass. snails from my display, and silversides if I can. For the long term I will go to the tidepools and collect crabs and snails, and various other creatures for this tank!

I will hopefully have the tank full of LR and LS, running with a filter and skimmer by monday. Any tips or hints would be great. If you are interested in an octopus email me at radnerd(at)cox.net. Thanks, Alex

It will take your tank much longer than 2 weeks to cycle, and we recommend 3 months for it to mature for an octopus. 2 weeks just isn't enough time, and if you have a year experience, then you should know how to cycle a tank, and how long it takes. Go with the 60. Minimum for a bimac is 50.

Zeus Zoso

Blue Ring
Registered
The idea was that there is no cycle. The tanks at stores can set-up in 15 minutes, because all of the LR is established, as well as sand, and filtration. My real concern now is LR. If I get it from my established "reef" which is 78 degrees, won't most of the bacteria die if kept at 72 degrees? I am doing this because its either now or never.

Thanks,
Alex

Fishfreak218

GPO
Registered
lower the temp sloly over a period of a few days
if u have enough time...
if u dont have alot of time then kinda rush the temp drop

Zeus Zoso

Blue Ring
Registered
Brock Fluharty;82560 said:
It doesn't take 15 minutes...read some articles...
Want to explain to me how it is different? I love how people tell me things, and there is no reason to it. Does the "really" good algae only grow in that tank. Is the water not "live"?...lol Are you saying that if I had two 50 gallon tanks next to each other, one filled with LR, and LS, and it has been established for 10 years, that I could transfer it over to the tank with new SW and it would have to cycle? Makes no sense... I don't wanna argue, just back your statements. I am getting the rock Saturday and the Octo the next Friday or Saturday, so I will start at 78 and lower it to 72 degrees over the week. This is what I am worried will cause a cycle, and in this case Brock or whatver could be right, but only in this situation. Thanks FF218 for helping me with the situation, not telling me I am dumb, its what I have and I am working with it. I am most likely going to buy a 50-60gallon tank, and build a stand this week, so it's ready for Sat, when I get the rock. I am also using the CC65 rather than AquaC, which is too much $, and when the octo dies I am getting two maroon clowns to get dirty and make babies.Will the glass cycle if I put it on a new stand?

lol
Alex

Zeus Zoso

Blue Ring
Registered
I did some "reading" and when I change my filter media next weekend, I will transfer the little balls over, so that I get even more good stuff! Even if I get a tiny ammonia cycle, he should be fine with a small amount, which I most likely wont have, and with a skimemr I should be a ok.
alex

Fishfreak218

GPO
Registered
Zeus Zoso;82562 said:
I am also using the CC65 rather than AquaC, which is too much $, and when the octo dies .Will the glass cycle if I put it on a new stand?

lol
Alex
HAHA!! im srry but that was funny!
lol um i like my CSS65 better then my AquaC it pules out more and idk.. i just like it better

Fishfreak218

GPO
Registered
Zeus Zoso;82563 said:
I did some "reading" and when I change my filter media next weekend, I will transfer the little balls over, so that I get even more good stuff! Even if I get a tiny ammonia cycle, he should be fine with a small amount, which I most likely wont have, and with a skimemr I should be a ok.
alex
have extra water on hand! it helped me when my nitrates got to 10ppm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri