[Featured]: Netflix Documentary: My Octopus Teacher

My friend and I are currently working on a long form piece about the appearance/role of cephalopods on streaming platforms like Netflix more broadly.
Sounds like a great project! Let me know if I can help in any way - I look at this a lot 👁️ :smile:

Sounds like a great project! Let me know if I can help in any way - I look at this a lot 👁️ :smile:
Hi TonMo. Thanks for the offer. I will share a list-version of the article here before it goes out, if you like. I recently watched S2:E6 of The New Twilight Zone entitled '8.' Have you seen this? It's a great episode for Ceph heads. I could post a brief review of the episode in the reviews section once I've written one up.

I will share a list-version of the article here before it goes out, if you like.
Yes - that'd be great!
I recently watched S2:E6 of The New Twilight Zone entitled '8.' Have you seen this? It's a great episode for Ceph heads. I could post a brief review of the episode in the reviews section once I've written one up.
Cool - have not seen it, but will search it out. And yes, your review would be most welcomed... it's the kind of stuff we're here for!

I read a review discussion in another forum and there was a lot of criticism on the man handling the octopus, the aim of the comments were along the line of handling an octo is damaging to it's skin and changes it's behaviour.

There was also a mention of chemicals like sunscreen and bacterial cross infection being bad for them.

I did not know enough to participate in the discussion. Being as the man handled (and was handled back) by the octopus, is any of this sort of criticism justified? I can see a random encounter with a wild creature being strictly hands off, is it different that this was a repeated contact over time?

Generally speaking, I am a big advocate of NOT touching things when you dive or snorkel. Just observe with your eyes and enjoy being present, you're not there to touch or disrupt; it's the whole point of appreciating and preserving nature. (I'm not referring to other activities which may have purpose, such as fishing; separate topic....)

And yes, sunscreen or whatever else can indeed be harmful, potentially. If I recall the first shot of the documentary where they come together, the shot appears as if they are both reaching toward each other simultaneously, as if there's a mutual curiosity. Who knows, maybe he'd been feeding her for some time before they took that shot :smuggrin: ... a bit of training... but that's a cynical thought!

It can also be dangerous, as they may have discussed... I don't recall the past conversations, but I know that if an octo decides it wants to wrap its 8 arms around you and restrict your movement, you're going to have a bad time... especially if you're free-diving!!

Anyhow, that's my take...
:snorkel:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back