• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

NEED HELP!!!

scully54

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I just got my octopus today and after five minutes in the tank he went in the filter and went under the pumps box. I dont want to use a stisk and crush him and I am not putting my hand in the water.do you think he will come out in the tank. I just hope he is ok. :sad: pleas i need help very very very very bad. :boohoo:

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Ok...so, you have turned off the pump, I hope ???? Which type of filter has he wormed into???

scully54

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
.....have not turned off the pump (didn't want him and everything
else - the live rock to die...?....)
...as we're new at this, don't know what type pump it is..it's whatever
came with the 24 gallon nanocube ...
...we do have all the lights turned off....just now took a flashlight
to hopefully see.......he is moving down there at the bottom...
..there's like a pump that's hooked up to a box that's at the bottom..
of course he's under that box...he got his arms wrapped around the three cords......again, at least he's moving so I know he's alive...
.....I had tried putting a stick down there thinking that he might wrap around it and I could pull him out..that didn't work and I got concerned
about jabbing him......hopefully he'll get hungry and come out on his own.....

DocFrye

O. vulgaris
Registered
Okay, can I ask...... you say that you are new to this. How long has your 24 gallon Nanocube been set up and been running (i.e. cycling?)

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
:confused:

so, you got an octopus why?????? It sounds like you have an awful amount of groundwork to cover here...but, let's solve the immediate problem.
The octo is going to have to be removed from the bottom of the filter. This is probably going to require some dismantling of parts and pieces, as well as a late night trip to your nearest fish store or friend with a salt tank to provide a home for the octo when you do get him out, until you can proof the tank completely.
Unless it is a dwarf, a 24 will be too small of a tank, so you might want to rethink the whole octo-purchase thing now.
best, and keep us posted,

greg

DocFrye

O. vulgaris
Registered
Where are you located, scully54? Maybe someone on the board is local and ready to house your octo (possibly temporarilly - or long term if you are not prepared for the tremendous amount of work needed to keep octos.)

a rabid squid

GPO
Registered
whats your problem with putting your hand in the water? seiously dude, its not that big of a deal just do it and save your octo. if its that simple

ditto, if you live near me, ill stick my hand in there and get it out, i promise you, unless it is a blue ring, which i hope its not, then it should not hurt you

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Turning off the pump for a while isn't going to hurt your live rock. What's going on since you last posted?

Nancy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak