• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

NEED HELP!!!

scully54

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I just got my octopus today and after five minutes in the tank he went in the filter and went under the pumps box. I dont want to use a stisk and crush him and I am not putting my hand in the water.do you think he will come out in the tank. I just hope he is ok. :sad: pleas i need help very very very very bad. :boohoo:

Ok...so, you have turned off the pump, I hope ???? Which type of filter has he wormed into???

.....have not turned off the pump (didn't want him and everything
else - the live rock to die...?....)
...as we're new at this, don't know what type pump it is..it's whatever
came with the 24 gallon nanocube ...
...we do have all the lights turned off....just now took a flashlight
to hopefully see.......he is moving down there at the bottom...
..there's like a pump that's hooked up to a box that's at the bottom..
of course he's under that box...he got his arms wrapped around the three cords......again, at least he's moving so I know he's alive...
.....I had tried putting a stick down there thinking that he might wrap around it and I could pull him out..that didn't work and I got concerned
about jabbing him......hopefully he'll get hungry and come out on his own.....

Okay, can I ask...... you say that you are new to this. How long has your 24 gallon Nanocube been set up and been running (i.e. cycling?)

:confused:

so, you got an octopus why?????? It sounds like you have an awful amount of groundwork to cover here...but, let's solve the immediate problem.
The octo is going to have to be removed from the bottom of the filter. This is probably going to require some dismantling of parts and pieces, as well as a late night trip to your nearest fish store or friend with a salt tank to provide a home for the octo when you do get him out, until you can proof the tank completely.
Unless it is a dwarf, a 24 will be too small of a tank, so you might want to rethink the whole octo-purchase thing now.
best, and keep us posted,

greg

Where are you located, scully54? Maybe someone on the board is local and ready to house your octo (possibly temporarilly - or long term if you are not prepared for the tremendous amount of work needed to keep octos.)

whats your problem with putting your hand in the water? seiously dude, its not that big of a deal just do it and save your octo. if its that simple

You do seem very new to this.

I wouldn't ever recommend keeping an Octopus if your new because they require so much knowledge and responsibility before ever keeping one.

For your problem, of course turning off the filter would do best for now. And then trying to get him out. There's nothing wrong with sticking your hand in the tank. If you think an octopus is poisonous or dangerous to touch, then you need to study more their biology. There harmless, and saving your octopus would be best. 24 gallon tank is much too small for an octopus. I doubt you have a Dwarf. I hope you return this animal to a nearest pet store before it dies and think about them more often before getting a new one. You need to study more. And also, try to get a filter that an octopus can't climb into. There very curious.

....hey all....for some reason he came out on his own...hungry I guess...
I got him out with a net and he's now safely back at the pet shop...
....as to some of you, thank you for the helpful tips and good advise..

..as to a few others of you - thanks for the critizism and bashing, like
I'm a total loser for attempting to try to keep him....
.....I'm glad it worked out for him that he's now safe....believe me,
before I attempt it again, I will be an expert like the few of you who
bashed me......

Hey Sculley,

Glad all this had a happy ending. I hope you go on to learn more and set up a nice octo tank where your little bimac can have a nice life. Be sure to let us know when that happens.

Hope you told your LFS what you learned. They shouldn't have been selling the octo to someone with a nanoreef - they should have advised you better.

Nancy

Sculley, I don't think anyone meant to "bash" you...but Nancy is correct, why did they sell you something that you weren't ready for? It might be time to switch shops.

Honestly, the whole program that is listed under "ceph care" is from those of us that have had problems in the past, and had to solve them, before a site like Tonmo was around...read the articles by Nancy, Colin, and the others...it will only help you out in the end.

Once again, best,

greg

scully54 said:
....hey all....for some reason he came out on his own...hungry I guess...
I got him out with a net and he's now safely back at the pet shop...
....as to some of you, thank you for the helpful tips and good advise..

..as to a few others of you - thanks for the critizism and bashing, like
I'm a total loser for attempting to try to keep him....
.....I'm glad it worked out for him that he's now safe....believe me,
before I attempt it again, I will be an expert like the few of you who
bashed me......

Well, just incase...

I wasn't bashing you, just giving you some advice on what you should do before ever keeping an octopus again. Just do lots of research and you should be fine nextime. I recommend reading the "ceph care" section of this site. Your not a loser, you've just learned from a mistake. And a little help wont hurt.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back